G. Pulchripes sling questions

Devin281

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,
This is my first T, a 3/4'' Grammostola Pulchripes. I've only had her for a few days now but I'm slowly getting used to the husbandry. I was looking for some feedback on the enclosure (too much? too little? etc.)
also struggling to identify possible premolt as she ate a few days ago when I got her but doesn't seem to want anything now. I know they can go off food usually around the winter months (but it's mid-april lmao). Her abdomen definitely looks dark/bruised as I read occurs during premolt, it's not overly large though. hasn't kicked any hairs off to prepare either. as for stretching, as far as I can tell... not really?

any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would have chosen a much smaller enclosure for that sized spiderling, personally. It is easier for them to find their food and easier for you to control the higher moisture that spiderlings require. However, you do have a lot of stuff in there to make it less open and they are going to get a bit bigger shortly. It might not be a big deal.
Yes, they look to be in pre-moult to me. Eating and moulting has already picked up considerably for me and I am north of you.

Devin281

Arachnopeon
I would have chosen a much smaller enclosure for that sized spiderling, personally. It is easier for them to find their food and easier for you to control the higher moisture that spiderlings require. However, you do have a lot of stuff in there to make it less open and they are going to get a bit bigger shortly. It might not be a big deal.
Yes, they look to be in pre-moult to me. Eating and moulting has already picked up considerably for me and I am north of you.
Great, thank you for the feedback. I do agree about the enclosure size.. I'm quite busy with university and work atm, and this enclosure came with her from the site I made the purchase from. If I had more time to focus in on it, I definitely would have made a smaller enclosure. room to grow at least :). And thank you for the confirmation on pre-molt!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
To be perfectly honest... I'd rehouse her it into something much smaller. If it decides to burrow there'll be next to no means to monitor it properly. You can save this enclosure for later, it's perfect for your sling once it has a few moults under its belt. ;)

For now, I'd recommend a 2 oz deli cup or something similar.
20181012_water dish example2.jpg

Devin281

Arachnopeon
To be perfectly honest... I'd rehouse her it into something much smaller. If it decides to burrow there'll be next to no means to monitor it properly. You can save this enclosure for later, it's perfect for your sling once it has a few moults under its belt. ;)

For now, I'd recommend a 2 oz deli cup or something similar.
View attachment 306071
Makes sense, didn't actually realize how small a 2 oz cup is. Totally see your point. I'll get my hands on one asap

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Condiment cup for that guy.

Why, why the fascination with people, esp new owners trying to identify pre-molt?! You can’t do anything to help them along with a natural process.

Devin281

Arachnopeon
Condiment cup for that guy.

Why, why the fascination with people, esp new owners trying to identify pre-molt?! You can’t do anything to help them along with a natural process.
Idk. Maybe cause I just want to have a better understanding of it's life and maturing process?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Idk. Maybe cause I just want to have a better understanding of it's life and maturing process?
Well with context that makes sense now!

So many come here so so concerned if there T is in pre-molt, as if it’s life or death.

Devin281

Arachnopeon
Well with context that makes sense now!

So many come here so so concerned if there T is in pre-molt, as if it’s life or death.
Oh, haha. Right, made sure to do a lot of research before hand. Just the application of said research is what I'm getting used to. Completely understand whatcha mean there

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
A sling in heavy pre-moult will generally look kinda like this.

heavy pre-moult.JPG

Notice that the abdomen is black/swollen and even the legs have darkened, this pic was taken just hours before it moulted, the next time I came back to check on it after taking the pic it had made a moulting mat and flipped over to moult.

Devin281

Arachnopeon
A sling in heavy pre-moult will generally look kinda like this.

View attachment 306101

Notice that the abdomen is black/swollen and even the legs have darkened, this pic was taken just hours before it moulted, the next time I came back to check on it after taking the pic it had made a moulting mat and flipped over to moult.
Right, cool. Thank you for the information!

Devin281

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, quick update. Unbeknownst to me, University was closed for Good Friday today (drove all the way there to find out smh). So spent my extra free time and made her a much smaller enclosure. Ended up going with a 4oz deli cup (and only a small increase in overall diameter over the 2oz) as it was what I had on hand, still pretty small though. Much better?

Braulio Paz

Arachnopeon
I've got 3 slings of the same species in a very similiar enclosure to your new one and they are doing great, they love burrowing tho. They haven't molted since I got them (3 weeks ago).

However, I read in another post that a key indicator for a pre-molt in really small slings is their shiny (not black) abdomen. One of mine has the shiniest abdomens of the 3, I will see if she molts or not.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I've got 3 slings of the same species in a very similiar enclosure to your new one and they are doing great, they love burrowing tho. They haven't molted since I got them (3 weeks ago).

However, I read in another post that a key indicator for a pre-molt in really small slings is their shiny (not black) abdomen. One of mine has the shiniest abdomens of the 3, I will see if she molts or not.
This species does go black and shiny in premoult although not all Ts do