G. Pulchripes sling odd behavior

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Things may be looking up for the little one, it accepted a pinhead roach today and about 5 hours later took another one. It stayed in the same spot almost all day. It moved away a little while ago and I don't see a roach hanging out of it's mouth or any bodies in the spot it was sitting. It seems to stay in a stress posture most of the time and I think that was the problem. Maybe the enclosure is too big and it doesn't feel safe. I'll leave it be for a few days and if it doesn't settle in I'll move it to a smaller enclosure and see if that helps.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Things may be looking up for the little one, it accepted a pinhead roach today and about 5 hours later took another one. It stayed in the same spot almost all day. It moved away a little while ago and I don't see a roach hanging out of it's mouth or any bodies in the spot it was sitting. It seems to stay in a stress posture most of the time and I think that was the problem. Maybe the enclosure is too big and it doesn't feel safe. I'll leave it be for a few days and if it doesn't settle in I'll move it to a smaller enclosure and see if that helps.
So glad! I'm glad you found something it would accept, especially since you don't have immediate access to a source for feeders, nice work!Feel free to post pics of the enclosure if you desire, it could be the case re- enclosure too large. Good idea to let your T rest for a few days. Hope it pulls through

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
So glad! I'm glad you found something it would accept, especially since you don't have immediate access to a source for feeders, nice work!Feel free to post pics of the enclosure if you desire, it could be the case re- enclosure too large. Good idea to let your T rest for a few days. Hope it pulls through
The enclosure is sitting sideways and I know I should have buried the hide more but I promised myself I wouldn't touch it unless I need to refill the water dish until the next feeding day. It's 4 inches square. Sorry about the blurry.

Attachments

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I've heard of the sucking stomach thing before. Apparently some guy had a tarantula that got its old esophagus torn during a molt, and the old stomach actually stayed inside the new one. This prevented the tarantula from eating AND drinking. It survived to the next molt because the owner kept the enclosure very moist the whole time.
EDIT: hadnt read the whole thread. Glad it's not a sucking stomach problem.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Update on little Fluffy. It did seem to be a stress problem. I'm happy to report that it has made itself a little burrow, is definitely able to eat, is getting a fat butt and seems much more relaxed. Looks like it's just extremely skittish and just needs to be left alone to get about spidering. Yay!