1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G. pulchripes close to pre-molt?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by JoeyCortez, Mar 19, 2017.

1. JoeyCortez

JoeyCortez Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    IMG_0352.JPG So I'm thinking my G. pulchripes is going to be in pre-molt soon, the abdomen is completely black and the legs look like they're starting to darken a little bit. I'll post a pic to show you. Although it did eat Friday. I've been looking at a lot of different posts everywhere but can not seem to find any pics of a sling this small before it's getting ready to molt.

Attached Files:

2. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoprince Active Member

Spiderlings that small usually look like balloons when they are in premoult. The abdomen will swell with fluid and will turn black all over when the exo underneath has formed. Then it could be a few days, or a few hours until they are ready.

Stay patient Joey :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. JoeyCortez

JoeyCortez Arachnopeon

Awesome I'll keep waiting! Can't wait until this guy is over an inch!

4. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoengineer Arachnosupporter

That's a hungry sling! It'll get ready to molt if you fatten it up. There is no such thing as an obese sling - feed, feed, feed!

• Like Like x 2
  5. JoeyCortez

JoeyCortez Arachnopeon

Thanks! I just recently figured out how to get this guy to eat something and I've fed him twice so far since I got him about a week and a half ago

6. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

And dry out that mansion. Just keep a small area damp and provide a water dish.

Doesn't look pre molt, but the pic is pretty distant.

This sling molted a day after this pic.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

pre-killed food is always easiest.

You will find things much easier by putting it into a smaller enclosure...this is a G. pulchripes about the same size.

8. JoeyCortez

JoeyCortez Arachnopeon

Oh yea I found that out, I tried to give it live food and it just would run away from it and never eat it. So I finally started pre-killing them and then I would find that it would pick it up and eat it after it being in there for a little while. The sub looks damp but it's dry, it's just fresh coco. I have a corner where I have a little bit of sphagnum moss and I will put a few drops of water on there for it. I'm using the sling enclosure that comes with the beginner kit from Jamie's.

9. aphono

aphono Arachnopeon Active Member

I can verify this. I'm very new to the hobby- got 3 slings and one juvenile two weeks ago. One of the slings is a G. pulchripes the same size and in the exact same deli cup.. it is doing really good.. very aggressive eater of live crickets. Body slams them to the ground as soon as the cricket hits the substrate.

• Love Love x 1
  10. aphono

aphono Arachnopeon Active Member

Didn't catch this before my reply above. It looked like a huge enclosure from the starting post, so never mind my reply. I was just very surprised at the appropriate size enclosures at first. But now I can see the recommended sizes really do work quite well for them. Perhaps we can sort of compare as our pulchripes slings grow up....

• Like Like x 2