G. pulchripes ‘twilight year(s)’

Kieffer

Arachnopeon
Hi all!
Sorry if this has been asked, I tried search and couldn’t find anything. Not even sure what to search for, so I am asking here in a new thread.

I have a mature G. pulchripes. I obtained as a ~1/4” sling at end of Jan 2016 (so maybe a hatch date of late October?). It molted 9 times since and its last was March 2021. This was when I realized quickly that it is a male.

I noticed this weekend that the crickets I put in yesterday are still around (usually they are gobbled up quickly). His abdomen looks small. He has water, which I have seen him visit and drink from. He frequently is in a scared/stressed pose with legs pulled in (not death curl), but he also will move around. The last 6 months or so, I would rarely see him inside burrow, but before that, burrow was where he spent most of his time.

I guess what I asking is… considering my fella is close to 8 years old…

Am I witnessing the final days of my T’s life? It hasn’t molted in 2 years and I know it’s a sexually mature male, so I highly doubt this is pre-molt.

Is this expected behavior for the end of a T’s life?

What should I expect in the twilight of a T’s life?

Thanks in advance. This is my first T raised to maturity so I don’t know what to expect. I also have a female GBB of the same age and she’s doing fine.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Do males of this species live to be 8 years old? Did you confirm the sex with a molt or otherwise?

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Unfortunately they tend to kind if waste away. Slowing down gradually, stopping eating, just sitting in a hide most of the time. Then one day, dead.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi all!
Sorry if this has been asked, I tried search and couldn’t find anything. Not even sure what to search for, so I am asking here in a new thread.

I have a mature G. pulchripes. I obtained as a ~1/4” sling at end of Jan 2016 (so maybe a hatch date of late October?). It molted 9 times since and its last was March 2021. This was when I realized quickly that it is a male.

I noticed this weekend that the crickets I put in yesterday are still around (usually they are gobbled up quickly). His abdomen looks small. He has water, which I have seen him visit and drink from. He frequently is in a scared/stressed pose with legs pulled in (not death curl), but he also will move around. The last 6 months or so, I would rarely see him inside burrow, but before that, burrow was where he spent most of his time.

I guess what I asking is… considering my fella is close to 8 years old…

Am I witnessing the final days of my T’s life? It hasn’t molted in 2 years and I know it’s a sexually mature male, so I highly doubt this is pre-molt.

Is this expected behavior for the end of a T’s life?

What should I expect in the twilight of a T’s life?

Thanks in advance. This is my first T raised to maturity so I don’t know what to expect. I also have a female GBB of the same age and she’s doing fine.
You're lucky you got as much time as you did with your MM. Some last a quarter of that time once they hit their final maturity stage.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
So what you’re saying is… I might have another year with my buddy? What were final days like? What can I expect?
It’s possible yes, my pulchripes ate until the 2.5 years mark. Then withered away and could no longer climb. It was a big male 6-8”.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yes a decline downwards to death is to be expected. But eating and drinking are good signs, some mature males refuse to do either as pass fairly quickly compared to yours!

Kieffer

Arachnopeon
After further inspection… he did not eat the cricket, he just killed it.

my GBB is eyeing up her new enclosure