G. Pulchra slings coming Tomorrow

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Well as the title says, I bought two very gorgeous G. Pulchra slings on... Thursday? I think..? They are arriving tomorrow, and I have been busy trying to learn a bunch in the process from their breeder and make a beautiful new home for them. Here is a current temp home that they will be receiving, both have their own and though they are pretty much the same enclosure they do have slight differences just due to how I made it. I hope to get some 5 gallons to upgrade to on Saturday, but if not I have back up ideas.
T enclosure top.jpg
T enclosure.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You won't need those 5 gallon enclosures for a loooooong time. A long time, literally half of a decade if not more. Grammostola as a genus is not known for its growth rate :)

That enclosure actually looks alright. If the sling is around 1/2" (which I'm assuming it is?), then it will most likely burrow to the bottom sooner rather than later. How much substrate is there, about an inch? They could use more, but it's not like you're denying them the benefit of burrowing. It looks fairly loose, I'd tamp it down lightly (i.e. press down on it) to compress it a bit. That makes burrows hold up better over time.

You've got plenty of ventilation, which is great. Keep it damp, not moist! It looks too wet in there as it stands. I'd suggest wetting a corner, letting it dry out, wetting it again, and repeat. This species is tolerant to droughts, but not so much to a swamp.

Lastly, a word of warning. Whenever you're closing the lid, be sure that it's closed 100%. A sling and squeeze through even a tiny crack if you don't snap the lid down all the way.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
There is about 1.5" of substrate and the slings are over an inch. Which is why I am looking for a 5 gallon as soon as possible. I already have one and will give it to the largest T when I clean it really well and observe their behaviors well enough. But I also have a rubbermaid of the same build that is at least twice as big. So I can transfer the smaller of the two to it if needed. I will be going to the expo on saturday and if I can find some 5 gallons at a good price I will buy a minimum of 10

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There is about 1.5" of substrate and the slings are over an inch. Which is why I am looking for a 5 gallon as soon as possible. I already have one and will give it to the largest T when I clean it really well and observe their behaviors well enough. But I also have a rubbermaid of the same build that is at least twice as big. So I can transfer the smaller of the two to it if needed. I will be going to the expo on saturday and if I can find some 5 gallons at a good price I will buy a minimum of 10
Alright, I mean... a 5gal is still massive. It's not only a matter of wasted space, it's a matter of making your life very difficult in terms of husbandry. But to each his own.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
how would it made my life difficult in terms of husbandry? As far as wasted space, i don't mind if they have a little extra space and decide not to use it, at least they have a choice. I am not really trying to save space with these guys currently. Just trying to make sure they don't want anything.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
They have less of a feeding response in larger cages and end up growing slower.

Smaller cages = better in this case

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
how would it made my life difficult in terms of husbandry? As far as wasted space, i don't mind if they have a little extra space and decide not to use it, at least they have a choice. I am not really trying to save space with these guys currently. Just trying to make sure they don't want anything.
It's hard to maintain humidity, it's easy to lose the spider in such a large enclosure, it will be difficult to effectively close any gaps in the lid to prevent escapes, they don't eat as well, the list goes on.

And it won't be "a little" extra space. They'll make their burrow, and then never wander much beyond a couple square inches of it.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
So I unboxed the two today, they are much smaller than I expected, so their current enclosures should be fine for a good while. Happy babies, one question though, I have asked the breeder themself, another forum and now I am asking you guys just so I have multiple answers, the smaller of the two has a reddish/brown blush on it's abdomen, it's not shiny and not bald so could this be signs of a premolt already? Should I just settle in for a wait and see? I know I shouldn't feed them after unboxing for a couple days right?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
No need to overthink it. Let them settle in for a day, and then drop in a small cricket to see if they're hungry. If they run away from the crickets or slap them away, they may be in premolt. Just don't leave the crickets in overnight, in case the Ts molt and become cricket food while you sleep.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Thanks, figured I would try that, they are my first two T's so I feel ridiculously nervous though I have probably researched a silly amount. Their staple diet will be roach nymphs, they will get various other things if they eat them, I have several types of roaches, some isopods (but I don't think they would eat them), I raise silk worms from eggs to moths, stick insects, and will be raising crickets later on ^^