G. Pulchra - sexing/ maturity confusion

Trinity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a G. Pulchra that I got as 1 inch sling in Feb. 2001.

I have examined several molts, decided that it was male, and have also sent a molt to Swifty's for sexing, who also said it is male.

This particular tarantula is now 5 years old. It shows no signs of being a mature male, hangs out in a half dug burrow or just outside it, eats every cricket possible, and has not molted in about 2 years. Hasn't made a web of any kind, just its half dug burrow. It has a leg span of about 5 inches.

I know this species is notoriously slow and does what it should in its own sweet time, but still...

Does this fit with the behavior of a male? Is he mature but this species doesnt show obvious signs (I thought they did)? Will he someday decide he's ready to molt into maturity? How likely is it to really be female and have been sexed wrong all along?

I'm asking because its going on 2 years since the last molt. I've looked closely for the spurs and he doesnt have any, nor does he have "clubs."

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks!

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard it can take grammostola males upwards of 7-9 years to mature. enjoy him while you can:)

reclusa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also temp and feeding schedule can slow maturity rate. Enjoy now the day will come.