G. pulchra molting?

Varla Einin

Arachnopeon
Hi,

My husband and I woke up this morning to find our G. pulchra has plugged up his hide.

He is our first Tarantula and we have only had him for 2 weeks. He has been eating a couple crickets each week and we have caught him wandering the enclosure a few times.

We have looked at pictures of Ts about to molt and he didnt look like he was ready- that could just be our unexperianced eyes tho. Here is the last picture we took of him before he barricaded himself in. (Its not the best pic sorry):

Is he about to molt? Is this behaviour normal?

Thank your for reading. Any advice is appretiated :)

tarantulashack

Arachnopeon
Yes looks premolt to me and behavioral seems correct most will web up the entrance. When they show them selves again (may be awhile) will be closer to adult colors :)

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
They have that habit of plugging their burrows. Theyre very private and would not want a paparazzi or two take pictures of her while shes dressing. ;)

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Its normal and is part of premolt... Sometimes Tarantulas will barricade themselves in even before premolt and you won't see them for twice as long until after the molt has taken place.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It could be premolt or it could be your sling digging out its home some. Several of mine did this before cleaning some of it out to make a smaller tunnel then webbed it all up.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

Varla Einin

Arachnopeon
Update!
He broke down his doors today :D I'm so happy!

He is much blacker then before and his fangs are a solid black so I figured it was safe to feed him. He gobbled down a nice fat wax worm ^^ I will post a pic as soon as I get a good shot of him.