G. Pulchra blocked off its hide

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
I recently rehoused my 1" Grammostola Pulchra and a day after i see its hide blocked off with substrate like the picture for a week and a half.

I read that it is possibly in premolt but I did not see any signs of premolt and it was very active and eating like a champ before the rehouse. I'm just surprised to see it showing a completely different behavior right after rehousing.

Should I be worried or can I leave as it is for another week or month?

Last edited:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I recently rehoused my 1" Grammostola Pulchra and a day after i see its hide blocked off with substrate like the picture for a week and a half.

I read that it is possibly in premolt but I did not see any signs of premolt and it was very active and eating like a champ before the rehouse. I'm just surprised to see it showing a completely different behavior right after rehousing.

Blocking off it’s hide is just the Ts do not disturb sign it may just be settling in or it could be premoult some Ts will eat right up until a moult

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just leave it alone. Probably in pre-molt and will emerge after. Could be a month or three. Depends. Nothing to worry about. Could just want some alone time.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
It can be worrying as a first time T keeper!
Perfectly normal behaviour for a newly rehoused T

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A G pulchra eating like a champ and then stops eating. Sounds totally normal. It is full and not wanting to be disturbed. Just because they stop eating doesnt automaticly means premoult. My G rosea often eats like a champ and then suddenly stops eating for a year without being in premoult.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Rehouse, so surprised are you....

A giant takes you, dumps you into a new place....and you won't behave differently?

Leave your T alone.

@Teal Another pre-molt question..the fascination is greater than the fascination w/the royal family in the UK

NewTguy

Arachnosquire
...or year :) Mine dug herself into her hide a couple weeks after I got her, and didn't come out or eat for over 5 months. Then she came out and was active as hell and eating like crazy. then a couple weeks later holed up for a month and then molted. Just how T's be....

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
Thank you all for your replies, should I be keeping up the humidity with mister(though some say misting is unnecessary) while the pulchra's burrowed or is it okay to leave it with just a small bottle cap about 1" diameter filled with water in the enclosure?
I've read that pulchra doesn't need too much humidity but probably shouldn't keep it too dry I believe.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I had one bury itself for 5 months. Didn't eat or drink the whole time. Yours should be fine

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thank you all for your replies, should I be keeping up the humidity with mister(though some say misting is unnecessary) while the pulchra's burrowed or is it okay to leave it with just a small bottle cap about 1" diameter filled with water in the enclosure?
I've read that pulchra doesn't need too much humidity but probably shouldn't keep it too dry I believe.
Spiders aren't reptiles - Humidity does nothing for them. Keep the water dish full, and you can overflow it a smidgen as well. I prefer to keep slings on slightly damp substrate because they can dessicate quickly.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Stop misting. G. pulchra are not fans of moisture, in fact Grammostola in general are not (some are more tolerant than others). Just fill the water dish and that will be fine.