G. pulchra behaviour

Tay94

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, I just got my G. pulchra about a week ago and was curious about her behaviour.

I noticed she was fairly skittish right away. I take the top off of the tank for any reason and she usually goes running into her hide. I figured this was probably normal, especially being a juvenile and the recent move, but today she gave me a real surprise. She didn't go running at first and I needed to change her water dish, which she was sitting next to. I tried to gently nudge her with a small paintbrush so I could get the dish out, and without warning she did a quick threat pose and struck at the brush, before bolting into her hide.

This just seemed really weird to me for NW behaviour. I thought that she would urticate hairs before ever trying to bite, but I guess I was wrong. Anyone else have this kind of experience with a G. pulchra or similar? Just want to make sure in case there's something wrong or bothering her to act this way.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's not weird at all, for me.

Removing the top off the enclosure (the noise, probably, or else) scared her, that's why the burrow retreat. As far the threat pose, she was 'cornered' in that moment, you 'touched' her with the paintbrush, so the bite was the best option to use instead of kicking the setae.

I see nothing strange... they are and remain pure instinct animals, no matter how much 'docile' certain species are.

This just seemed really weird to me for NW behaviour.
NW behaviour? There's certain NW Theraphosidae species that, potent venom aside, aren't seconds (in term of a pure defensiveness level) to OW's, eh.

Check certain P.cancerides, P.irminia etc

You probably wanted to say 'pet rock/s' behaviour. Still, as I've said, you never know :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tay94

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the fast reply! She's my first T so it's been quite the learning experience over the past week, lol.

I'll remember to be more careful not to make her feel cornered next time.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Grammostola spp. can be pretty temperamental but any tarantula's temperament can change at any time.

I have a B. hamorii that turned into a right grumpy cow after her second moult in my care, this was back when she still threw up threat postures/slapped at things, she goes straight to biting now.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Definitely nothing weird... It's still a tarantula, even if a NW, they are still prone to defensive behavior like that.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
She might've mistaken your brush for food, too. They can rival A. genics in appetite! Mine is a bold little turd even though she's still small.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
This just seemed really weird to me for NW behaviour. I thought that she would urticate hairs before ever trying to bite, but I guess I was wrong. Anyone else have this kind of experience with a G. pulchra or similar?
Generally, Grammostola pulchra has a docile, easygoing temperament, but every spider is a unique individual, and temperament can change over time, especially after a molt.

There are three possibilities for the behavior you saw:
  • She thought it was food. (Many feeding responses can be mistaken for aggression.)
  • You caught her on a grumpy day.
  • You have an oddball pulchra that is less docile than average.

I thought that she would urticate hairs before ever trying to bite, but I guess I was wrong. Anyone else have this kind of experience with a G. pulchra or similar?
I have never seen either of my juvenile pulchras throw hairs, but I have gotten a halfhearted threat-pose from the larger one when I nudged her to move over during maintenance. (She is stubborn, and she only moves when she wants to move.)

She will also grab onto anything that moves in the enclosure (not necessarily a strike but just checking it out).

octaJon

Arachnopeon
My SA pulchra charged my tongs 1 time when I was retrieving the water dish. Every time prior to and following that she has always been a really mellow, stereotypical pulchra. It's a good reminder for anyone, myself included, to never let your guard down no matter the species.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
She will also grab onto anything that moves in the enclosure (not necessarily a strike but just checking it out).
Mine does this too. I used to interpret this as hunger, but nope. Just sticking a leg in the water dish as I fill it.

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
Grammostola spp. can be pretty temperamental but any tarantula's temperament can change at any time.

I have a B. hamorii that turned into a right grumpy cow after her second moult in my care, this was back when she still threw up threat postures/slapped at things, she goes straight to biting now.
My fave Arachnoboards pic! The poster Tarantula for NW’s who are the exception, not the rule! Love it! xxxxx