G Pulchra Behavior

Kaylee Garland

Arachnopeon
Hi guys! I just recently got my first G Pulchra and I am so excited! My question is, will the skittishness calm down once it gets older. I know right now it's probably skittish because of it's age, being a juvie and I'm sure it's natural for them to be this scared in the wild. She was perfectly calm for a few days then suddenly began to DART out of her enclosure. She hid in my antique camera hah!!

Also any other G Pulchra owners, I would love to see! <3

Attachments

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I've had two of these lovely little guys and I'd say that yes, my adult male was more calm once he reached subadult size. I think a lot of slings are quick when they are small. It's their evolutionary response to what they perceive as "negative" stimulus. I remember feeding my first G. pulchra sling and I nudged the cricket toward him and he shot out of the container and under the table. I was able to safely pick him up and put him back, but always was aware of his possible skittishness when working around his enclosure until he was big enough to go into the adult tarantula cage. Once he was like 3 inches DLS he was the cutest calmest pet rock T anyone could ever ask for.

Kaylee Garland

Arachnopeon
Ah that's good to hear! Mine is about 1/12-2inches, and she is the spunkiest little thing! She lifts her butt while walking around, I find it rather comical. I don't plan on handling a lot in the future, but I want to make sure it won't be THAT quick when it's like....4 inches. ;)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

StormyMyth729

Arachnosquire
I have one g.pulchra sling named Mordred who is pretty calm for the most part, spends most of the time in "his" burrow, his first rehouse was uneventful and he moved nice and slow.
And then there's Nevermore.
Nevermore is an ass. Lol...I just got that one a few days ago, "he" was bigger than expected...skiddish, rehousing out of the shipping vial was a trip
...he bolted..twice. (Thank god I had a barrier up)
Also, due to Mordred loving to burrow I gave Nevermore lots of substrate. Well..nevermore likes being out more than buried, and feeding has been fun because of it, I'm always concerned the dude is gonna bolt. Lol

Attachments

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My first adult female was very laid back, but she was full grown when I got her. I now have two juvenile females who are at opposite ends of the spectrum - one is as slow and calm as they come and the other is fairly skittish for the most part.
Yes, they do tend to become more 'bold' and less skittish as they grow, but there are no guarantees. Generally, this species will calm down when they get to the point that they are at a less vulnerable size, but you can never count on it. All of them, even the most calm, laid back individuals, are capable of tremendous bursts of speed when they want. You always have to be expecting the unexpected with every last one of them.
My skittish girl, Raven...
DSC06737-2.jpg

My more laid back, and curious girl, Onyx...
DSC04493-2.jpg