1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G. porteri tunneling after 4 months in care?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by malolatif, Jan 10, 2019 at 3:32 PM.

1. malolatif

malolatif Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello everyone. I have a baby G. porteri and I've had it for about 4 months. Initially I created a starter burrow for it and it chilled out there since then. I'd take dubia roaches, crush their heads, and leave it at the entrace. The past two weeks, it has refused food. This didn't bother me too much as I know that's normal for them. However, today I woke up and it is tunneling and completely redecorated the water dish. Now I find this super cool but I'm a little worried because maybe it can collapse and G baby is smol! Is this a sign of stress or a sign of a molt coming? I don't know but I thought I'd ask since it hasn't done anything like this for 4 months. I have attached a picture of the tunnel with a red mark of where it used to be. Also, a picture of the new water dish lol. Any insight would be helpful. It is around 2 cms. Sooper smol spooder and I'm scared.

20190110_140705.jpg 20190110_140735.jpg

2. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

Possibly premolt. It's abdomen looks plump enough, so I wouldn't worry

3. malolatif

malolatif Arachnopeon

Thank you so much!!! I'll await its molt excitedly!

4. lazarus

lazarus Arachnosquire Active Member

Burrowing is not necessarily a sign of pre-molt you should continue offering food. They build tunnels because they feel safer in there than out in the open.
    You shouldn't be worried about collapsing, they web the walls of the tunnel to sustain it but even if it does collapse your T is perfectly able to dug herself out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

No problem. Just keep in mind that this species is notorious for slow growth and fasting, so a molt might still not be in the immediate future. It might also just be full for the time being, and is burrowing to avoid the food for now. Don't be alarmed if it seals it's burrow shut with dirt or webbing, that just means it wants to be left alone. And if you happen to notice it's body getting darker than you remember, that is most certainly premolt and another thing to not worry about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nice tunnel - always appreciate when I can still see the sling. Had one even tunnel down in the middle of enclosure but I could still peek at him from below. Mine always seemed to build sturdy tunnels that didn't collapse -- even slings are pretty good at building!
    Anyway, everything looks and sounds normal enough to me.
    Good luck with your guy!