1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G. Porteri sling

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by patar, May 16, 2019.

1. patar

patar Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Do slings hide because I can’t see it anywhere in the enclosure and I’m freaking out.

2. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnoangel Active Member

Norway
    Slings will often burrow so it might just be hiding somewhere. Can you post a picture of your enclosure?

3. patar

patar Arachnopeon

I made a mistake cause this is to big but do you think it got out?

Attached Files:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoangel Active Member

Depending on the size of the sling there's every chance it got out, unfortunately. :confused:

Those Kritter keepers are for juvies, not for slings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. patar

patar Arachnopeon

They were hatched last summer would it still be considered a sling?

Also if it did get out what do I do, can it hurt anyone?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
  6. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnoangel Active Member

Norway
    How big is the spider in question? If it could fit through the ventilation, then yes, it could very well have gotten out.

Not really. You should be on the lookout for it, but it´s not easy to locate a small spider so you will need some luck.

7. patar

patar Arachnopeon

It was like 1/2 inch

If it did get out is there anyway I could find it?

8. Thekla

First of all, don't panic! ;)

Secondly, put that enclosure into a bigger tub and start very carefully sifting through it. Maybe it's indeed hiding or burrowed somewhere you wouldn't see.
    Meanwhile, watch your steps and search in dark places/crevices nearby and seal the door. At that size it can't hurt anyone, but it can certainly be hurt itself.

By the way, yes, that's still a tiny sling, and it would've had no problems to escape through the vent holes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Killertut

Killertut Arachnopeon Active Member

Germany
    you put a sling in there? well, sucks either way:

1) dig it out
    2) search the house

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Geez, large enclosures will encourage excessive hiding....do yourself and your sling a favor and downsize immediately.

House it like this till its over 1".

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. patar

patar Arachnopeon

I found it and I’m rehousing it now, thank god

Thought I lost it cause I was being stupid and put it in to big of a container but I found it and put it in a proper one. Thanks everyone for the tips and stuff.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

I have made a newbee enclosure guide. Read that, as said that enclisure is fitting for a halfgrown G porteri

Good!

13. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

No offense to OP
    But I am astounded that people put tiny slings in enclosures like this and think they won't just walk out of the slits at the top

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  14. patar

patar Arachnopeon

No offense taken, that was pretty stupid thing I did, I dont know what I was thinking

15. Thekla

Glad you found it. Where was it?

Unfortunately, that enclosure you have now isn't really good either. Don't you have something smaller? With less height?

16. patar

patar Arachnopeon

It was actually still in the original enclosure on a leaf, but yeah imma order a terrestrial sling enclosure from Jamie’s the one it’s in now was for an arboreal sling.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  17. Thekla

Do you still have the vial in which it came? What's that in the background behind the arboreal enclosure (left-hand side)? Looks like a good container size. ;)

You don't need the terrestrial enclosure from Jamie's Tarantulas, it's still too big. You really need something like @cold blood showed you.

• Award Award x 1
  18. patar

patar Arachnopeon

The food was in there but I can put those in somthing else and put it in there

19. Thekla

Could you take a proper picture of that container (in comparison to Jamie's enclosure)? Just to be sure it's a good size. :)