G. Porteri molting again after "Final" molt?

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I have never had this happen before. This is regarding a male G. Porteri. I bought this male 2 1/2 years ago. He had his "final" molt a few months before I purchased him so I'm going to say it's been close to 3 years since he's "hooked out" or matured and ready to do his business. I have paired him with all of my females since then (Some more than once). He's been great but obviously going down hill with old age. Out of nowhere I catch him yesterday morning molting AGAIN! I checked on him again this morning and realized that he was stuck in his molt and didn't particularly have a good one. He lost his front right leg and I helped him with his front right pedipalp and it came out kind of spindly (Can't really see it in the picture because it's underneath him).
My question is, Does this happen often? I always assumed after the mature molt that that was it. They do their job and just kind of fizzle away with old age.
The first photo is of his molt just to show that he did have tibial hooks before this molt.

Attachments

Leila

Arachnobaron
Wow! He made it out alive???? :astonished: Nice! I mean, sure, it sucks that he lost that palp...BUT he lives! Every other MM who molted (at least the ones in threads I have seen here: documented post ultimate molts) unfortunately passed away.

Your guy is a trooper for sure :cat::cat:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Wow! He made it out alive???? :astonished: Nice! I mean, sure, it sucks that he lost that palp...BUT he lives! Every other MM who molted (at least the ones in threads I have seen here: documented post ultimate molts) unfortunately passed away.

Your guy is a trooper for sure :cat::cat:
I remember reading about one that made it out alive, however, I believe this is the most healthy post-ultimate molt I've seen. Your guy is really lucky! This seems to happen a good amount (when compared with other species) with these "Rose Hairs", whether that has something to do with the sheer amount that are/were in the hobby, I couldn't tell you.

In any case, congrats!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
He's not ready to give up the ghost! I've seen (on here, not in person) a lot of mature males molt and get stuck in the molt. It makes me wonder why. Maybe less strength in their old age? Who knows.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I've heard of a few who've tried moulting, but only a couple of them survived the moult. It is very uncommon.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I thought he was easily going to be a goner over a year ago. I assumed that I would keep him comfortable until his last days anyway. He laid a sperm web again 6 months ago and I paired him with another female. He's a tough dude. I didn't expect another molt!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I thought he was easily going to be a goner over a year ago. I assumed that I would keep him comfortable until his last days anyway. He laid a sperm web again 6 months ago and I paired him with another female. He's a tough dude. I didn't expect another molt!
I've always wondered whether or not post-ultimate males can mate. I hadn't heard of one who didn't lose both palps and/or died. Has your male hardened up yet? If so, are his legs functional enough to the extent where you think he could be paired? Is his remaining palp and embolus usable?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You must be doing something right, keep it up! I think I speak for a lot of us here when I say that we're very interested in seeing how long this little guy makes it. He might end up being the longest lived male G. porteri the forum has seen.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I've always wondered whether or not post-ultimate males can mate. I hadn't heard of one who didn't lose both palps and/or died. Has your male hardened up yet? If so, are his legs functional enough to the extent where you think he could be paired? Is his remaining palp and embolus usable?
He hasn't hardened up yet. One pedipalp.jpg

Last edited:

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
As others have mentioned, there have been other MM that have survived subsequent molts, we are rooting for him! I hope he is not too impaired by this most recent molt ....updates will be appreciated on this guy

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I like that he's still hanging on. Sad that his days are numbered but that's the nature of male tarantulas. He looks drunk in that picture.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
Bob asked earlier if they could still possibly mate after a post ultimate molt. I'm curious as well but decided against it. He's far too fragile. He can spend his last days just hanging around :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Bob asked earlier if they could still possibly mate after a post ultimate molt. I'm curious as well but decided against it. He's far too fragile. He can spend his last days just hanging around :)
I mean it'd be pretty epic if that drunk old man went out providing one last egg sac, but yeah. Not worth the chance when you're not sure he's still fertile. I mean, he hasn't been able to spin a sperm web has he? My understanding on T breeding is limited, but I thought they had to "charge" their palps with sperm from a sperm web to be fertile.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
Yeah man, I highly doubt he will produce a sperm web. Now if he does...Well. I might put him back in the ole sex arena just to see what happens, lol. Honestly though, Just from observing he's definitely not in his prime. I don't know that he would be able to handle one of my females.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yeah man, I highly doubt he will produce a sperm web. Now if he does...Well. I might put him back in the ole sex arena just to see what happens, lol. Honestly though, Just from observing he's definitely not in his prime. I don't know that he would be able to handle one of my females.
Honestly, if he managed to make a sperm web and charge his palps in that sorry state he's in, I'd try it too! I mean he'd produce a sack of G. porteri warrior slings! He doesn't look strong enough to be able to lift a female however.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Thats cool that he made it through the molt! I know its rare but it doesn’t surprise me that this can happen. In the wild the MMs usually get eaten before they ever have the chance to attempt a post-ultimate molt. It makes perfect sense to me that their basic molting cycle would continue if given the chance.

Good luck with him!

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
Honestly, if he managed to make a sperm web and charge his palps in that sorry state he's in, I'd try it too! I mean he'd produce a sack of G. porteri warrior slings! He doesn't look strong enough to be able to lift a female however.
I would try it as well if he laid a sperm web to see what happens. This is the last adult male G. Rosea that I own.