FW FishTank Experts, I need Help.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Erin,
You could try the copper, but you might be able to substitute any of the gourami family for the blue gourami's. As for cool shrimp, I had the coolest shrimp in freshwater the Algae shrimp and the Fan Shrimp, they are both about crayfish sized and did wonderfully in my tank until they molted and were softshell, my fish then had shrimp scampi and mutilated all of them!! It kinda pissed me off but that's nature I guess. Small shrimp such as Ghost Shrimp are just morsels for my fish.

Andy

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by vulpina
Erin,
You could try the copper, but you might be able to substitute any of the gourami family for the blue gourami's. As for cool shrimp, I had the coolest shrimp in freshwater the Algae shrimp and the Fan Shrimp, they are both about crayfish sized and did wonderfully in my tank until they molted and were softshell, my fish then had shrimp scampi and mutilated all of them!! It kinda pissed me off but that's nature I guess. Small shrimp such as Ghost Shrimp are just morsels for my fish.

Andy

Thats why I keep them. I have at any point 50 in my tank for my snake fish to devour. He goes through about 20 a week. But they also serve th epurpose of being the best clean up crew ever. I am considering getting some singapore wood shrimp(which are I think the same as your fan shrimp) because they are to big to eat and are really neat looking.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another

The fish in the pic are; The gray one is a Silver Distichodus (Distichodus affinis), the one with the striped tail is a Silver Prochilodus (Semaprochilodus taeniurus), you can also see my Bala Shark ( Balantiochelilos melanopterus) and a Congo Tetra (Phenacogrammus interruptus)

Attachments

Last edited:

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last one: And yes the wood shrimp are the same as the fan shrimp. They are too big to swallow whole but when they molt the fish pick them apart when they are in the softshell state. None of my fish are big enough to swallow them whole but they were killed and eaten anyway. How much are the wood shrimp where you are, I paid 2 or 3 bucks each. In this pic is my Silver prochilodus and a Butterfly Fish (Pantodon buchholzi)

Andy

Attachments

Last edited:

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Princess, did you try copper or did you find Blue Gouramis? How is the problem now?

Andy

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Have you thought, or has anyone suggested, crushing the snails so the other fish would be able to eat them? All you do is press them hard against the glass when they are there (or pick them up and get them to attach themselves there, or squeeze them between your fingers). Most tropical fish really enjoy eating them if they are "prepared" for them.

Sharon

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry, it has taken me so long to reply Andy. For some reason I am no longer getting notification when someone replys to my posts. :?

I got two silver gouramis and they have worked quite well. I have no more worm like creatures, but the snails are crazy. I have been trying the cooper, but it seems like the snails are multiplying even more. I have tried crushing them, but it seems like a fruitless effort. When I come home after work the sides of my tank are completely covered with snails, you can hardly see anything else, so I squish them and try and pull most out. I am all out of ideas, except for sterilizing the tank and starting anew.

Erin

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Andy
BTW, great pics. looks like you have a great tank.

I have a friend who has a 4,000 gallon salt water tank. :eek: He has black fin sharks in it. I will try and post pics later. Coolest tank I have ever seen. Salt Water tanks are just too much work for me.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Erin,
If the snails are small try some of the loaches that I mentioned before, they absolutely love snails!! Thanks for the comments on my tank, I am going to buy a 125 and go with salt-water in it.

Thanks,
Andy