Funny Story

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So a couple weeks ago, I had to do an oral presentation in college on something unique in my life. I brought in a tarantula! I decided to bring in my Eupalaestrus campestratus, because it's the only one I trust to behave. I had it packed away in a bag the whole time while everyone else was doing their presentations. Anyways, when I went up to talk, nobody knew what was in the bag, until they got hints while listening to my story. Someone finally clued in and said "There's not a spider in that bag, is there?" Lol..I just kept on talking.... Finally, I got to the show and tell part, and indeed pulled out the tarantula. Nobody in the class had ever seen a tarantula in person! Eveyone came to the front to see it, and many people were taking pictures with their cellphones. My teacher even went to the class next door and asked if anyone wanted to come see a tarantula and a bunch of people came in, lol. But the REAL funny part was that I had just told everyone how I felt the E. campestratus was one of, in not, the most docile species in the pet trade (way more gentle than a Rosea), and it totally proved me wrong. I guess it was super stressed by all the attention and the ride up there, because it was turning to face everyone who wanted to touch it...It wasn't even kicking hairs, but cutting to the chase and threat posing! Imagine an E. campestratus threat posing, lol. I've never seen it behave that way before. I couldn't even handle it, let alone pinch grab it like I usually can. So it was kind of a shame that people didn't get to touch it, but nobody is ever going to forget my presentation and random people still talk about it. :giggle: I'm glad I could help take the initial step to break down barriers with some people towards these misunderstood creatures.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
and you also dont have to worry about people comming to your house now either....haha..atleast you might of changed someones mind about the T's although the threat posture didnt really help you..all the people i work with think im crazy for having what i do.

jbalboa1981

Arachnopeon
LOL, a little threat posture never hurt anyone. People think I'm nuts for keeping scorps and spiders also. They are definitely misunderstood creatures. I love them.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i know what you mean...i only have 1 friend that is into invertabrates, and i bought all of his stuff when he was getting out of the hobby, now he's getting back in, and wants me to help him out...really cool..

jbalboa1981

Arachnopeon
That's cool he is getting back in it, I don't think I could ever get out of the hobby, I'd go nuts. I wish I had just one friend into it, sadly everyone I know thinks I have a death wish for keeping them, haha. If people would do a little research they would find out they are not evil incarnate like most think they are.

JayMadison

Arachnosquire
That's a really cool idea :) There must be a number of people who have never seen a tarantula

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
People had a lot of questions after the presentation. Someone asked if I got them de-venomized to keep them as a pet, and there were some jaws that dropped when I explained that you can't get them de-venomized and that they need their venom to eat.

People overall found it interesting, even if I didn't win them all over to wanting to get one. At least one person said it was cute. :cute:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah i really dont see how anyone could get out of the hobby..i mean i would understand if a situation that were out of their control forced them to, but as far as just deciding it wasnt for them or whatever, i couldnt do it..

That's cool he is getting back in it, I don't think I could ever get out of the hobby, I'd go nuts. I wish I had just one friend into it, sadly everyone I know thinks I have a death wish for keeping them, haha. If people would do a little research they would find out they are not evil incarnate like most think they are.

jbalboa1981

Arachnopeon
Haha, I get the de-fang, de-venom question sometimes. Maybe a few of them will go get their own now.

JR1213

Arachnopeon
Today I learned T's make horrible wingmen... Turns out they're dealbreakers for a lot of (human) males!

I wish I had a friend that was into T's... Just one. ohhh pity me! :(

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Today I learned T's make horrible wingmen... Turns out they're dealbreakers for a lot of (human) males!

I wish I had a friend that was into T's... Just one. ohhh pity me! :(
That's why you're here isn't it? :D

coco

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hahaha good read man!

My gf since 8 years was terrified of spiders when I met her...... :)

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Lol I got some looks when I brought my Avic into petsmart because I didn't want to leave it in the heat of the car. :laugh: oh and the girl who was giving me a tour of an apartment..."you keep what as pets?!?!?!"

Good job informing people though education is always needed for the hobby.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've really been thinking about trying to take one of my "docile" Ts into some local schools to educate everyone. One of my worries is just what happened to you. The good kid acting out! I'm not even sure how to go about doing show and tells or what places to target. I would really like to do it tho.

demonanjel117

Arachnopeon
lol Im currently trying to convince my apt manager into letting us get a T. She said we could have fish but fish are kinda boring! So I was like uh Josie I have something else in mind that goes in a tank...? I got a raised eyebrow and then an uh Ill get back to you on that one! I told her if she wanted she could come by and Id show her all teh info Ive found on the T I want. She said she would be by soon. lol