Funny story of massive cricket escape

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This came to my mind recently and I thought I would share because I think it’s quite funny

About 6 years ago I was studying and still living with my parents at the time. I had gone to a local bird market to pick up crickets for my collection. When you buy them they scoop out a whole bunch, weigh them, and then put them in a plastic bag with some egg cartons and tie it off.

I came home and put the bag down in the living room briefly then forgot about it; I headed out to spend the evening with some friends.

A couple of hours later I got a call from my mum, the crickets had chewed through the plastic bag and about 100 of them were jumping across the living room :eek: She said it looked like a mass exodus, the floor was covered in them

Long story short I came straight home in a very apologetic state, when I got back my poor parents had caught all of the crickets and place them into a container for me. I was very impressed! However we still had a few turn up from time to time over the next few weeks lol

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How about the time as a kid living with my folks that I rehoused about 500 lateralis roaches into a new tub and forgot to put the lid on... :troll:

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How about the time as a kid living with my folks that I rehoused about 500 lateralis roaches into a new tub and forgot to put the lid on... :troll:
Haha! I can only imagine the outcome of that

Chelbelle

Arachnopeon
I ordered 1k larges before and they ate through the screen on the tub while we were out :) Then my american bulldog proceeded to eat some carpet trying to get them. After catching like 300 you just start smashing them in anger. LOL.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
A while back, I had bought a small container of crickets (I can't recall exactly how many come in the prepackaged containers, but I think it's 25 to 30) and had put them in a different container with substrate to try an encourage egg-laying. I specifically used that container because of the smooth sides and the apparent lack of places for them to escape. After moving all of them, I put the container away and went about my business.

After about a half hour, I noticed a cricket walking around on the floor. Okay, no big deal. One must have gotten out while I was rehousing them. I scooped it up and fed it to one of my Ts. Then I notice another one. Weird, but not enough to warrant concern just yet. Again, I fed it off and went back to the task at hand. But then I started noticing some tiny movement in my rabbit's litter bin. There's a bunch of crickets trying their best to maneuver in the bedding! :eek:

I run over to the cricket container and see them climbing through the teeny tiny space between the handle and the lid. I had to tape over the opening and then get to recovering all the loose crickets. Luckily, most of them made their way into the litter bin and were easy to catch. I think only 10 to 15 got loose, but that was still exceedingly alarming.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Haha! I can only imagine the outcome of that
My mum hollering, "Another one!" and me running with a catch cup several hundred times over the next week or two :rofl:

I ordered 1k larges before and they ate through the screen on the tub while we were out :) Then my american bulldog proceeded to eat some carpet trying to get them. After catching like 300 you just start smashing them in anger. LOL.
LOL this reminded me of the time one of my dogs found a 500 count mealworm container and decided they wanted the carrot slices I had put in it... I came in from being outside to find mealworms crawling ALL OVER my living room floor and the dog was following some around, periodically eating them haha

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Feeding tarantulas and seeing a lateralis run across the floor. i think "weird bit no bid deal. must've gotten out durring a feeding. Then i see another. Weird... Then a couple more. At this point i assume they must be getting out of a gecko enclosure somehow because nothing else would have that many roaches in it. Nope, all the geckos have the lids on right. Well i take a closer look at the bin i had the roaches in (had just gotten the 2000 red runners a day or two before) and the screen i had glued to the lid was knocked in and resting on the top of the egg crates.... My cat had snuck in the spider room the night before and must've jumped on the bin. But i never thought to check it after i found thr cat and kicked it out of the room.... Not sure how many escaped but i think it was a surprisingly small number. and the cats at least helped kill the escapes that left the room. LOL. But there was about a 2 week period where EVERY morning when i went to take a shower there would be one on the bathtub drain.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am really glad to hear I’m not alone in this, these are all hilarious stories hahaha

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Whenever I clean out my red runner colony I put all the oothecae/crap into another container and leave them until they hatch (then I put the nymphs in with the colony).

I forgot about one and never bothered to check on it, the sides must've been dusty/scratched because the nymphs were climbing out one of the corners, I only noticed this when I saw one scuttling across the floor out of the corner of my eye, then I started noticing more & more of them and actually thought to check it.

Cue me ordering a shedload of sticky roach traps and lining all of my roach bins with packing tape.

I seem to have caught the vast majority of the escapees, since I replaced the initial traps I've hardly caught any, they don't seem to have gone to other parts of the house either which is a bonus. Temps are too low for them to breed here so not really worried about them growing and causing a major infestation.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Wow those are the climbers how did you catch them??!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I hate crickets with a passion, i can't remember the last time a cricket or two did not escape on me,

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I have a bad enough time trying to fall asleep in cricket season with all the noise they make outside. If a male escaped inside, I don't know what I'd do. :anxious:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I hate crickets with a passion, i can't remember the last time a cricket or two did not escape on me,
I hate crickets as feeders!

I have a bad enough time trying to fall asleep in cricket season with all the noise they make outside. If a male escaped inside, I don't know what I'd do. :anxious:
REALLY?! I looooove cricket sounds. it is the ONLY thing I miss about using them as feeders lol

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I hate crickets as feeders!
Only reason I buy crickets now is because my E. Sp. Yellow slings and my I. mira won't eat anything else.

The only laughable that happened to me is finding a cricket had set up shop in my church shoes. Luckily I found it and gave it to my P. scrofa, who punished the cricket for escaping.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Only reason I buy crickets now is because my E. Sp. Yellow slings and my I. mira won't eat anything else.

The only laughable that happened to me is finding a cricket had set up shop in my church shoes. Luckily I found it and gave it to my P. scrofa, who punished the cricket for escaping.
I luckily don't have any picky eaters at the moment, but I have in the past!

I had a MM H mac in a work shoe for awhile... LOL

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I forgot to mention that one of them actually escaped into the wall and there was no way to get to it, it chirped 24/7 for a week. Nearly drove my brother mad, it was his bedroom wall haha

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Noise interferes with my sleep, and it drives me crazy if I hear a noise long enough.
Ahh, that'll happen! I am really sensitive to man-made noises, but nature sounds are soothing for me... I fall asleep listening to coyotes, crickets, frogs, etc <3

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Ahh, that'll happen! I am really sensitive to man-made noises, but nature sounds are soothing for me... I fall asleep listening to coyotes, crickets, frogs, etc <3
This! As for me I love cicada and cricket sounds <3
But nothing beats the soft purr of my cat sleeping beside me LOL