Funny or Cute Things Your Tarantula Does

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
So I fed all but two of my Ts yesterday (skipped A seemanni who just moulted and skipped G rosea who just ate two weeks ago (usually feed her every 4-6 weeks -- she has a big bum and a tendency to fast).

So I get everyone watered, and all but those 2 fed.
Then... Rosie stands up. She postures herself so it appears as if she is standing upright, just looking out the front of her enclosure, leaning on front glass -- like she was watching me and judging me (And yeah, I know, her vision is poor -- she wasn't really looking out). But I've never really seen her stand before in all these years -- she isn't even a wall climber -- she's usually a pet rock! The whole posture was just unusual for her.
So, it was funny! Every so often I'd check on the Ts -- just enjoying them all on tippy toes eating their waxies -- and there's Rosie. Standing there glaring, almost accusingly like "Why didn't I get a waxie? No fair!" :)

I swear she made me feel guilty. And I know better than to anthropomorphize in this way!!! And I know her too well; had I fed her too, that waxie would have had to be removed in a day or so. Ignored.

So, just a coincidence she took this standing position but it struck me funny -- she stood like that for a couple hours!

Anyone else got one to share???

[edited to add: I looked to see if we'd had a recent thread like this, didn't see one less than a year old -- apologies in advance if I've missed a more recent similar thread]

Last edited:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I know this is a common one, but my C. versicolor sling went through a major identity crisis after it's most recent molt. During it's process of post molt yoga, it thought it was a huntsman, a pokie, and even some type of bizarre triangle alien with two feet in the back and the rest in front. I only wish it didn't have it's web blocking it so I could get pictures. They were some of the funniest poses I've seen

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
None of my T,s do anything cute or funny.
They are all serious killers and assassin's.:vamp:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
All my spiders are pet rocks unless disturbed or fed. My Lp, Rachel Spider, shakes her butt while doing the happy dance at feeding time.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
My regalis threw dirt at me once.

Blowing gently through vent holes triggers a feeding response and a spider launching itself at your face.

Last edited:

Troyantula

Arachnopeon
I'm completely new to this, first week in actually and I'm not certain if this is normal but my g.rosea(That's what the pet store told the previous owner) seems to be a climber who is much more active in the evening... I imagine she's still getting acclimated to her new home after a 600mile road trip, she made the journey in the same enclosure she has been in for the last four months since leaving the pet store but that's about the extent of the history I have on her, not even 100% certain she's even a g.rosea, or a she... looks like one to me but the more I read here the more I realize how little I truly know, lol... is it normal for a g.rosea to climb the glass and excrete what I can only assume is the processed remains of her previous meals?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'm completely new to this, first week in actually and I'm not certain if this is normal but my g.rosea(That's what the pet store told the previous owner) seems to be a climber who is much more active in the evening... I imagine she's still getting acclimated to her new home after a 600mile road trip, she made the journey in the same enclosure she has been in for the last four months since leaving the pet store but that's about the extent of the history I have on her, not even 100% certain she's even a g.rosea, or a she... looks like one to me but the more I read here the more I realize how little I truly know, lol... is it normal for a g.rosea to climb the glass and excrete what I can only assume is the processed remains of her previous meals?
The poop sounds normal enough -- but your description sounds sorta like an avic. That said -- roseas can climb -- they especially hate damp substrate.

Post a pix and folks here will gladly troubleshoot and help ID your new addition. Congratulations, btw. :)

Troyantula

Arachnopeon
And thank you very much:)

I'll try to take a few more pics later, she flicked her abdomen bald during transport so I've been trying to leave her be for a day or two so I wouldn't add any undue stress...

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Yeah, to my eye it looks like a G rosea/porteri -- someone else may correct me. That said, they like dryer substrate and basically just need a hide and water bowl. I can't see how much distance there is from top of substrate to lid -- but general rule of thumb is 1.5X the DLS/diagonal leg span -- this is to prevent falls that might rupture T's rump. Some may allow slightly more distance but since yours has climbed already -- I would add enough substrate (if needed) to limit that distance so it can't take a mighty fall from the wall.

I think yours just needs time to settle in. :) Welcome to keeping tarantulas!

Leila

Arachnobaron
My B. albo enjoys getting her feet and pedipalps stuck in her KK ventilation slots...:shifty: It's so cute how she almost amputates her fuzzy little appendages...

No, but seriously, the one adorable things all of our Ts do: drink from their water dishes. :)

Last edited:

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Kovu likes to run away from mealworms and superworms, flicking hairs all the way, and will only actually eat them after theyre very much dead :p shes fine with crickets, though I refuse to keep them anymore :penguin:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My G. pulchripes likes to sit in his burrow and never come out
My G pulchripes sits on top of his hide and rarely comes down. It sort of defeats my door in lid to drop in feeders cuz he's like 'right there' waiting for the feeder drop. lol

Troyantula

Arachnopeon
Her enclosure is as it came, I can find or build whatever she needs, I just have to know the ideal habitat for her... from what you said I'm guessing she's at risk of harming herself in a fall... 20170821_141733.jpg

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Not familiar with that lid -- is there a light in it? Is it an aquarium lid? That, um, may not be good. :(
I much prefer the lid of the kritter keeper behind her enclosure.
I might would sift that substrate to remove the hard/jagged edges of those chunks (since you need to add more substrate anyway) -- they have delicate rumps.
Ts can't drown -- so unless you like the rock for looks, it isn't necessary.
I actually use disposable water dishes (I used to use a dish exactly like yours) just because otherwise you have to clean the dishes. But there is nothing wrong if you prefer using a decorative water dish.

Troyantula

Arachnopeon
I haven't changed anything in her enclosure, it is as it came and I'm open to any and all changes that would benefit the T... and yes I believe it's a 10gallon fish aquarium with a 15w sun glow bulb, I think the original owner just bought what the pet store suggested... the critter keeper in the background came with the deal and i was told it was for crickets... I've only had everything for 4 days, the first of which was in a car and would really like to do the best I can for her...

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
You can actually make your own lid -- have some plexiglass cut to fit and then drill holes in it. Ts require no light.
Disclaimer: I have NOT tried this and I understand if you don't know what you're doing, the plexiglass can split or shatter or something.

I was sort of hoping others might jump in to assist -- it's been a sort of crazy day on the boards here today, plus the solar eclipse many were able to see.
As evening approaches and more people get off work, I hope you will get additional advice.
My rule of thumb: I like multiple agreeing viewpoints before I act -- and you deserve the benefit of other's advice too. :)