Fungal Infection on A. avicularia?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Gotta agree with viper, I really don't think it's a good idea. Of course it's your animal so do as you will.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I have to say Nystatin could do more harm than good. But it's your T.
Gotta agree with viper, I really don't think it's a good idea.
It's surely best to try some form of treatment, rather than let the spider just die without any attempt to treat what does look like a fungal infection. At the end of the day it's up to the OP to do what she thinks is right for the spider, it's better to try and fail than do nothing and fail, IMO.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
"Primum non nocere "- "first, do no harm"

With T medicine in such early stages, owners are forced to make their own choices for T care. A lot is guesswork.
I am more into providing good husbandry and seeing if T can overcome something. I was also reassured also by Trenor's pix.

It did look fungal -- but it looked fungal based on my biased mammal background of what a fungal infection in mammal skin looks like (such as in cats or dogs).
Fungus would be an easier call to make if the T had white/green fuzziness or mushroom protrusions or something. :(

Erin Bradley

Arachnopeon
Update: I applied a super tiny amount of Nystatin to the whitest part of her abdomen, and today the T has shown a little more movement (leaving the small spot on the ground). I'm assuming this is signs of slight improvement. After that application, the strange white outline pretty much is completely gone, only leaving the hairless abdomen. I believe the result is it was fungal, and that part has been taken care of. I don't think I will do anything else, and let the next molt refresh her. Thank you all for your suggestions! :happy:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
OP -- I really hope it works. And your updates may help the next person choose their course of T treatment.
I know veterinary fungal treatments in mammals can sometimes take a while for effect. I have zero idea how that translates for Ts.

[edited: poorly worded]

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Update: I applied a super tiny amount of Nystatin to the whitest part of her abdomen, and today the T has shown a little more movement (leaving the small spot on the ground). I'm assuming this is signs of slight improvement. After that application, the strange white outline pretty much is completely gone, only leaving the hairless abdomen. I believe the result is it was fungal, and that part has been taken care of. I don't think I will do anything else, and let the next molt refresh her. Thank you all for your suggestions! :happy:
I really hope the Nystatin has had the desired effect, hope the spider continues to improve, good for you taking the decision you did, thinking of the spider and hope it molts sooner rather than later - so it can start afresh so to speak.