Fungal Infection on A. avicularia?

Erin Bradley

Arachnopeon
Hello. I've had this A. avicularia for about 3 months now, but after its recent molt a giant patch has appeared on her abdomen. At first I thought it was just a scrape from after the molt (it happened really fast) but the spot gradually got bigger. In a matter of 2 weeks it doubled in size. I'm worried that it's either mould or fungus. Under the black light it appears similar to what a fungal infection looks like. Would a salt water solution work? Or gentian violet? I wanted to consult here before I tried anything.

I do not keep the enclosure very damp or the substrate moist fyi, only one medium sized water bowl.

Attachments

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
"Would a salt water solution work? Or gentian violet? I wanted to consult herebefore I tried anything."-- I would not try this

Perhaps it could be from the molt, not necessarily a fungal infection.

Others will post soon with opinions/advice

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Following.

I have the exact same problem with a subadult male Y. diversipes at the moment. It just appeared after last moult. There was no changes to enclosure. Its got loads of vents and isnt stagnant. I just dont know how it happened. I first noticed a few days ago a small patch on abdomen that looked like it was rubbing hairs or scraped against something.Now that patch is bigger. Its webbing is all slightly discoloured now too. I am going to rehouse when I am home.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Following.

I have the exact same problem with a subadult male Y. diversipes at the moment. It just appeared after last moult. There was no changes to enclosure. Its got loads of vents and isnt stagnant. I just dont know how it happened. I first noticed a few days ago a small patch on abdomen that looked like it was rubbing hairs or scraped against something.Now that patch is bigger. Its webbing is all slightly discoloured now too. I am going to rehouse when I am home.
"I first noticed a few days ago a small patch on abdomen that looked like it was rubbing hairs or scraped against something"
--I wondered this too but it seems different, perhaps another picture not at an angle may help if OP is able. Maybe not

"Its webbing is all slightly discoloured now too."
--have not heard of this, may I ask how it is discolored?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Ugh -- so sorry.
It's difficult for anyone to offer treatment advice without knowing cause - you don't want to exacerbate the condition using the wrong treatment. Or using anything not tested on Ts.
Keeping things dry should help -- but you're already doing that. (Conversely, keeping things dry means fungus would only have T to draw moisture from).
I've been reading a bit on fungal infections in Ts (because of this thread) and many have actual fuzzy areas or mushroom-like growths form. TKG recommends Nystatin for fungal infections but I can't recommend such treatment without proof it is fungal in nature. I also saw the salt water treatment mentioned. But I'm leery because if its not actually fungal -- you could unnecessarily dry out an already raw/sensitive rump. (I also searched for info on alopecia in tarantulas (to little avail) trying to think outside the box).
The holistic in me thinks rehouse, feed well, keep water dish available... and wait and see.

I really really hope someone else will recognize this condition and give you better advice. :(

[former vet tech with zero tarantula medical experience]

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Hello. I've had this A. avicularia for about 3 months now, but after its recent molt a giant patch has appeared on her abdomen. At first I thought it was just a scrape from after the molt (it happened really fast) but the spot gradually got bigger. In a matter of 2 weeks it doubled in size. I'm worried that it's either mould or fungus. Under the black light it appears similar to what a fungal infection looks like. Would a salt water solution work? Or gentian violet? I wanted to consult here before I tried anything.

I do not keep the enclosure very damp or the substrate moist fyi, only one medium sized water bowl.
It does look like a fungal infection, from what others have said, the remedies may do more harm than good, @Ellenantula has mentioned Nystatin, from what I can gather it is surely worth a go, rather than doing nothing, @Ellenantula thoughts please, if left it will only become worse IMO, so why not try the Nystatin, as it does look fungal to me, and to you if you look at the last pictures of the abdomen, just think it's the best thing to do.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I agree it looks fungal and it fluoresced for OP. But what kind of fungus, yannoe? I can't recommend Nystatin... but I can (and did) quote Stan on it. ;)

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I agree it looks fungal and it fluoresced for OP. But what kind of fungus, yannoe? I can't recommend Nystatin... but I can (and did) quote Stan on it. ;)
Yeah I understand what you're meaning but surely it's best to try, rather than have it suffer a long drawn out demise. I'm just not 100% when it comes to fungal infections etc. I don't think anyone is up to speed regarding fungal infections in tarantulas in general, sad that more research isn't being done t help our beloved tarantulas.

boina

Lady of the mites
Usually I see a thread about fungal infections and I go 'yeah, right, a healthy tarantula does NOT get a fungal infection', but this time it looks like it actually could be one (btw. mould and fungus is one and the same thing, just a different name). It also could be cyst. Personally, I'd think cyst, because the area looks swollen and that isn't typical for a fungal infection - but the glow in black light is. I'd probably try Nystatin or something similar instead of doing nothing. Salt water is probably not going to help much since the infection - if such it is - has already spread quite a bit and most of it will be INSIDE the tarantula - unreachable by salt water. Gentian violett - possibly. I'd go with Nystatin - it's not in acaricide, after all - because it's more specific than gentian violett.

Still, I'm not entirely convinced that this isn't rather a cyst.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Not disagreeing -- it looks fungal. But I don't know it's fungal.
I do know anything that can kill fungus must be somewhat anti-microbial (er anti-fungal in this case) i.e. poisonous.
I won't risk someone else's T by saying "yeah, put this on twice a day..." yannoe?
I wouldn't risk my own even T even -- not without a scraping/swab by vet to check what it is. :(

Personally, I would rehouse, feed well, and provide water -- then wait and see. The decision to use Nystatin has to be their choice alone. [edited to add: Nystatin in cream or ointment form may have soothing effect in addition to anti-microbial properties]

[I say 'rehouse' because if it is fungal -- T got it from somewhere -- possibly something in enclosure (I mean, both happened following a moult when Ts were fragile) -- hence rehouse... fresh start]

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Usually I see a thread about fungal infections and I go 'yeah, right, a healthy tarantula does NOT get a fungal infection', but this time it looks like it actually could be one (btw. mould and fungus is one and the same thing, just a different name). It also could be cyst. Personally, I'd think cyst, because the area looks swollen and that isn't typical for a fungal infection - but the glow in black light is. I'd probably try Nystatin or something similar instead of doing nothing. Salt water is probably not going to help much since the infection - if such it is - has already spread quite a bit and most of it will be INSIDE the tarantula - unreachable by salt water. Gentian violett - possibly. I'd go with Nystatin - it's not in acaricide, after all - because it's more specific than gentian violett.

Still, I'm not entirely convinced that this isn't rather a cyst.
As you said and I did as well, better to do something rather than nothing - yes, Nystatin will help if it is in fact a fungal infection, which it does seem to be, thanks for chipping in @boina

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Not disagreeing -- it looks fungal. But I don't know it's fungal.
I do know anything that can kill fungus must be somewhat anti-microbial (er anti-fungal in this case) i.e. poisonous.
I won't risk someone else's T by saying "yeah, put this on twice a day..." yannoe?
I wouldn't risk my own even T even -- not without a scraping/swab by vet to check what it is. :(

Personally, I would rehouse, feed well, and provide water -- then wait and see. The decision to use Nystatin has to be their choice alone. [edited to add: Nystatin in cream or ointment form may have soothing effect in addition to anti-microbial properties]
Yes I do pal, I'm hoping that a member with some experience of this kind of problem will manage to identify the problem and confirm that it is in fact a fungal infection, but as you say it's not up to you or me to make that choice.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'm leaning towards a cyst, only time I've seen fungus is on a dead or close to death spider. I would agree with you in that the spider should be made comfortable and just wait. Sometimes cysts are molted out of or become smaller, sometimes they don't do anything and are there until the animal dies or they rupture.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't risk my own even T even -- not without a scraping/swab by vet
Would a vet know what to look for, I'm assuming so if they've studied tarantulas to the extent needed, or are all microbial fungi the same, no matter what animal they've come from, (I'm questioning my own answers here or vice versa), so yes I think a vet would be able to tell what would be the best course of action, isn't it amazing how much we all care for other members spiders, great community we've got here, @Ellenantula your a true star pal, you're just as concerned as we all are, which is fantastic, keep up the great work.:)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have a P.reduncus that has a similar spot on her abdomen. It covers the entire back part of her abdomen even around her spinnerets. It was there when I bought her and it hasn't got any bigger that I can tell. The original owner made me aware of it and said it happened when she last molted. In this case she actually molted in a web tube sitting on her abdomen. That is where the spot is so we guessed it might be a result of too much pressure on the abdomen while the exoskeleton is still soft. Though there isn't really any way to know for sure.

I've had her for over a year. She eats with no trouble and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. The spinnerets work fine and she gets around well. She should be molting any time now (she has been holed up for a week) so I'm really wanting to see if the spot is better once she does.

Here is a photo of my girl. If you look at the very back of her abdomen you'll see the top part of the spot.

Good luck to you both with your Ts.

Last edited:

Erin Bradley

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for the suggestions and help. The re-housing has already been done, with thoroughly cleaned and scrubbed cage + different supplies. Made sure that was done right away.

After a lot of thinking and reading all the boards and post about it, I've decided to try the Nystasin. I've come to this decision pretty much solely because this tarantula doesn't molt very often, and it happened right after a molt. And it's progressing so fast within just a few weeks and might get so much worse before the next molt happens. I figure I will try a small amount and pray it gets better.

At the moment the T has huddled to the bottom of the cage (Not usual for her) and if this has a chance of helping before it gets worse I will try it.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Would a vet know what to look for, I'm assuming so if they've studied tarantulas to the extent needed, or are all microbial fungi the same, no matter what animal they've come from, (I'm questioning my own answers here or vice versa), so yes I think a vet would be able to tell what would be the best course of action, isn't it amazing how much we all care for other members spiders, great community we've got here, @Ellenantula your a true star pal, you're just as concerned as we all are, which is fantastic, keep up the great work.:)
I imagine most vets have a swab kit you could pick up and then take back for them to test/diagnose.

Thank you all for the suggestions and help. The re-housing has already been done, with thoroughly cleaned and scrubbed cage + different supplies. Made sure that was done right away.

After a lot of thinking and reading all the boards and post about it, I've decided to try the Nystasin. I've come to this decision pretty much solely because this tarantula doesn't molt very often, and it happened right after a molt. And it's progressing so fast within just a few weeks and might get so much worse before the next molt happens. I figure I will try a small amount and pray it gets better.

At the moment the T has huddled to the bottom of the cage (Not usual for her) and if this has a chance of helping before it gets worse I will try it.
Best of luck for a recovery. I appreciate the difficulty you had in making this tough call -- wish tarantula medicine was a more developed field. My fingers are crossed your T recovers well.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince

Thinking of you, and the spider, hope she has a great reaction to the Nystatin, wish there were more available treatment for tarantulas - hope all goes well!