Fun with a venomous friend!

kbekker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have had to grab a cobra by its head and take its eye caps off before, that was nerve wracking to say the least, but if you pay attention and to things by the book you can do it safely.
Eye cap removal is not as necessary as many inexperience people will lead you to believe. Under most venomous circumstances they can be left to come off with the next shed. If removal is preferred there are several techniques which don't require hands on restraint. This is a pretty good example of how novices get bit.

bothriechis83

Arachnopeon
Unless your location has changed I think it is illegal to own them in Beaverton, OR. Here is an ordinance from the city's ordinance website with their definition of a dangerous animal.

5.05.040 Keeping of Certain Animals Prohibited.
Except as otherwise provided in BC 5.05.043, no person shall keep a wild, exotic or dangerous animal.

5.05.037 Definitions.
As used in BC 5.05.037 to 5.05.043, the following definitions apply:
Dangerous Animal – Any non-human animal that is of a wild or predatory nature, and constitutes an unreasonable danger to human life or property. A Dangerous Animal includes, but is not limited to, snakes of the family Pythonidae or Boinae, unless incapable of growing to eight feet or more in length; any alligator, crocodile or caiman; and any poisonous or venomous reptile.

http://www.codepublishing.com/OR/beaverton/

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is awesome man! Make sure you post pics!
Damn right I will! may be we can get off this live/frozen thread and get up some nicest cobra threads! yours is very nice!with the black eyes!

Man i feel like its Christmas!Getting this snake,still want my gaboon though... and then I am done................I promise;P

Last edited:

kbekker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If I get bit I am quite screwed. There is no anti-venom in my entire state.
Also I hope it is just you who gets bit. One of my big concerns as a herper is that someone with an exotic will, by there own mistake, or through some other unforeseen accident, cause one of these species to get loose. Now you have brought in a dangerous exotic into a location which doesn't have appropriate antivenom "in the entire state", by your own admission. You dying is not much of a concern (you should understand the risks), a series of neighborhood kids is another issue

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Eye cap removal is not as necessary as many inexperience people will lead you to believe. Under most venomous circumstances they can be left to come off with the next shed. If removal is preferred there are several techniques which don't require hands on restraint. This is a pretty good example of how novices get bit.
I don't pay any mind to one set of caps but the male in question had at least 3 sets of caps still on. And hands on restraint is really easy imo if you know what you are doing.

Kbekker The odds of them getting out are somewhere between never and slim. I am not going to say it can't happen. An earthquake could destroy my cages and release everything. :rolleyes: But to be honest with you they can't get out of the room they are in, and getting out of their cages would be a feat in itself.

a series of neighborhood kids is another issue
Lol yes because this happens all the time. I challenge you to find any documentation that anything even close to that has ever happened.

kbekker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol yes because this happens all the time. I challenge you to find any documentation that anything even close to that has ever happened.
Pet snakes get loose frequently. Even from people who claim it could never happen. Just in recent weeks a Toronto high rise was in the news because of this. The fact that most of these are nonvenomous escapees is due to the frequency with which they are kept as pets over venomous, although ownership of venomous appears to be on the rise. Concern for public safety is why cities pass dangerous animal ordinances. The day a concern like this hits the popular media is when the exotic animal hobby will be crippled, pet boas loose are one thing, cobras or Dendroaspis are entirely different.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Albino

The guy sent me a pic of the snake I am getting tomorrow afternoon.

Will post better ones when his in my care.

Attachments

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I bet you are excited!
Oh one bit of advice, these guys are escape artists, I would use a locking lid for this one!

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bet you are excited!
Oh one bit of advice, these guys are escape artists, I would use a locking lid for this one!
Ha!Ha! Yeah the guy warned me.I got a 75 gallon top loading with a lot of locks.
Far as excited,very I have been waiting for months for this guy to come down and do this trade.We have anti-venom close by and Houston and in Galveston.For the snake I am trading with only place is what I did a find on is Miami dade county venom one team.Guess what it is...Using venom for stroke victims

Last edited:

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Who's antivenom? Is it a "Miami Dade Fire and Rescue Antivenom Bank", kinda situation?
Do not understand your comment sorry...As far as Texas in a 50 mile radius there is anti -venom available for the cobra in 3 locations
The other snake the anti venom is in Florida and no it is not mine.anti venom
but it is available.As far as danger is concerned I am more afraid of driving in Houston.Danger is not a real problem with me I race at a drag strip and mud race a truck which some to believe is very dangerous.But life is short in imo and should be lived at each of us choose.Do not want to grow an old man thinking wish of ,could of,but I was afraid.

You can flame all you want if that is what you like.Love you for it!And your opinions are considered but at the end of the day I will do as I choose!

spinningspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey talken,
just fyi naja kaouthia is unlisted in ODFW regulations, so by default its a prohibited species.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey talken,
just fyi naja kaouthia is unlisted in ODFW regulations, so by default its a prohibited species.
I am very well aware of that thank you :). You can petition the state to own any one of the prohibited species and it does not take much to get approved. All the state seems to care about is money not safety.

spinningspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well my experience with the state has been nothing but positive and it didn't take much for me to get a permit for any and all species of prohibited herps. Better to make friends with the officials than enemies

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree. They have been super easy people to work with which has been a pleasant surprise because I expected otherwise.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man my new cobra is a bugger!:razz::razz: Just got a 75 gallon for him with a trap box:?:?:? We are still not getting along well,but that is expected :D

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was waiting for that LOL! OK I am bringing home bosses camera and tripod,and is giving some tips on shooting pics through the glass with out getting a glare.Will post them this afternoon after work.

And yes I am on ab at work,but it is lunch....