Fun observations from a new T owner

DraykoDog

Arachnopeon
1. My B. albopilosum likes having one side of her enclosure dry and one side damp. She spends most of her day on the dry side, but in the evenings goes over to the "wet" side, gets a drink, then hangs out waiting for me to feed her. She has an awesome coconut hide but never uses it other than to do a cricket dance on top of it when fed. If I feed her, she drags the cricket over to the dry side for her aforementioned dance party. If I don't feed her, I swear she sulks her way back to the dry spot (you can almost audibly hear her sigh lol).

2. My C. cyaneopubescens is cute and knows it. I swear it poses. It currently is webbing over a spot in it's container that is wetter than I realized so yesterday I took a spoon and scooped out the wet substrate around it and replaced that part with dry substrate. Anytime I open the container, I swear it likes to "cruse" around after it's closed up. I suspect it's looking for food. In fact, it is always looking for food. I feel like every time I feed it, it's like "It's about <edit> time woman! I'm starving here!". It thinks it's part jumping spider and is known to leap down or over to catch a cricket. It eats prey as big or slightly bigger than it is. I've only had it a week and it has doubled in size (I think it was really dehydrated and hungry when I got it). Here's before/after pics below so you can see what I mean!
20180310_203419.jpg 20180314_213829.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Looks way to wet for a GBB
In both pictures, also looks kind of bare

DraykoDog

Arachnopeon
Looks way to wet for a GBB
In both pictures, also looks kind of bare
Yes, as I said in my post I scooped all that out and replaced with dry substrate. I had overfilled its water cap the day before and didn't realize how damp it was. It was very dehydrated when I got it, so I got a little carried away. :wacky:

It has a small cork "hide" in the corner you can't see in the pic, but it prefers to web up on the flower stems. It's such a small enclosure I was afraid of putting too much in there for crickets to hide in. The container is smaller than my hand. This is a really tiny sling (maybe .50"). It can easily fit in a water bottle cap. I am open to suggestions for other decor, though!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Yes, as I said in my post I scooped all that out and replaced with dry substrate. I had overfilled its water cap the day before and didn't realize how damp it was. It was very dehydrated when I got it, so I got a little carried away. :wacky:

It has a small cork "hide" in the corner you can't see in the pic, but it prefers to web up on the flower stems. It's such a small enclosure I was afraid of putting too much in there for crickets to hide in. The container is smaller than my hand. This is a really tiny sling (maybe .50"). It can easily fit in a water bottle cap. I am open to suggestions for other decor, though!
That's fair enough, I keep my juvie or he's possible a sub adult now without a hide he makes his own den.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
1. My B. albopilosum likes having one side of her enclosure dry and one side damp. She spends most of her day on the dry side, but in the evenings goes over to the "wet" side, gets a drink, then hangs out waiting for me to feed her. She has an awesome coconut hide but never uses it other than to do a cricket dance on top of it when fed. If I feed her, she drags the cricket over to the dry side for her aforementioned dance party. If I don't feed her, I swear she sulks her way back to the dry spot (you can almost audibly hear her sigh lol).

2. My C. cyaneopubescens is cute and knows it. I swear it poses. It currently is webbing over a spot in it's container that is wetter than I realized so yesterday I took a spoon and scooped out the wet substrate around it and replaced that part with dry substrate. Anytime I open the container, I swear it likes to "cruse" around after it's closed up. I suspect it's looking for food. In fact, it is always looking for food. I feel like every time I feed it, it's like "It's about %$#@ time woman! I'm starving here!". It thinks it's part jumping spider and is known to leap down or over to catch a cricket. It eats prey as big or slightly bigger than it is. I've only had it a week and it has doubled in size (I think it was really dehydrated and hungry when I got it). Here's before/after pics below so you can see what I mean!
View attachment 269482 View attachment 269483
yeah my brachypelma albopilosum is also always looking for food so much in fact i have to resist feeding it every day until its abdomen becomes small enough to feed it again