Fruit platter for roaches?

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
The one thing that most roaches don't seem to like in terms of fruit are sour ones, like lemons, limes, granny smith apples, etc., I've never heard of anyone ever feeding those to bugs, except for granny smith apples, which I tried myself, and nothing seemed to like them. So @CptMcSwaggens I doubt those would work, it probably won't kill them though, so you can try and see for yourself. :)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/roaches-and-citrus.101854/
These folks tried lemons. Roaches seem to avoid it or only eat it halfheartedly, it's not their preference.

All my roaches (hissers and dubias) enjoy strawberries, but dislike strawberry leaves. They also readily take apple, lettuce (not iceburg), and carrot.

They're not too keen on watermelon, tomatoes, or oranges.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/roaches-and-citrus.101854/
These folks tried lemons. Roaches seem to avoid it or only eat it halfheartedly, it's not their preference.

All my roaches (hissers and dubias) enjoy strawberries, but dislike strawberry leaves. They also readily take apple, lettuce (not iceburg), and carrot.

They're not too keen on watermelon, tomatoes, or oranges.
Good to know man, thanks for the info! :)

Huh, none of mine ever really liked strawberries, not even my hissers, almost everything I have likes apples though, and carrots generally only get eaten by large cultures of roaches IME, but make great filler food.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I do check and wipe up next day following fruits -- I don't fear ants as much as fruit flies and gnats. I try to feed enough so that there is still some leftover after 24 hours so I know every roach got a chance to eat. Then I remove fruit/veg leftovers and wipe up 'food corner' with a damp paper towel or three. No, I don't use substrate -- hate it in my roach enclosure -- makes cleanups more difficult, ime.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I know it's not fresh fruit, but has anyone used fruit jam or preserves as a roach treat? I am aware of the roach jellies available but I am curious if the fruit jam in my fridge would have merit as a roach treat.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The only thing I've ever had issues with for my Dubai are apple seeds. This kills the roach. They also won't touch jalapeños.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
The only thing I've ever had issues with for my Dubai are apple seeds. This kills the roach. They also won't touch jalapeños.
That's funny, many of my colonies eat apples, seeds and all, haven't noticed any dying off from it, (was quite surprised to see half eaten seeds in their enclosures!).

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Apple seeds for contain cyanide, so they are a no go, I'm not surprised some got binned. I'm more surprised @Hisserdude roaches survived after eating the seeds.

@beaker41 Jelly is a fine treat, however it depends on the actual tastes of your roaches. Mine don't really have a sweet tooth so most fruits are ignored on their part....

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've lost half a dozen one time to apple seeds, even caught one dead still eating one. Was from crab apples in my yard.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Apple seeds for contain cyanide, so they are a no go, I'm not surprised some got binned. I'm more surprised @Hisserdude roaches survived after eating the seeds.
My roaches are tough, and have been selectively bred to be able to consume large amounts of cyanide safely. :p Seriously though, had no idea that the seeds may be harmful for them to digest, will be keeping a closer eye on my cultures that are given whole apple cores...

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i. Montoyo can develop a resistance to iocane powder but only the land species in asia.

craze horse

Arachnosquire
Mine love peppers, any salad leaves and go crazy for baby sweetcorn and leave huge chunks missing after a good feed ! Also fish flakes are favoured.