Fruit Flies???

xanderTluv

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just started to use fruit flies to feed my slings! Does anyone have any suggestions to manipulate them into the vials? Every time I open the lid I get about a dozen running all over the place! lol Thank you in advance!

danielr6543

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Exactly the reason why i use mealworms. Pinhead crickets and frutiflies are just to hard to manipulate. Whereas mealworms can be cut section by section depending on the size of the spider and can be easily manipulated.

xanderTluv

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thx danielslipknot2,
I have alot of success with pinhead crix, I just seen these and thought I would put some variety in their diet. But like you said manipulation is damn near impossible. Well lesson learned, until we come up with an easier way.

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by xanderTluv
I just started to use fruit flies to feed my slings! Does anyone have any suggestions to manipulate them into the vials? Every time I open the lid I get about a dozen running all over the place! lol Thank you in advance!
If you breed them in the vials to start .. its much easier to get them out. I use Melanogasters .. they are a FLIGHTLESS fruit fly and 10x easier to work with. A scoop of Carolina Bioligicals pre made fruit fly media and some water is all you need. Or you can make the media out of sugar , potato flakes and some yeast . You throw in some mesh window screen ( for the larvae to climb on ) and cover with a paper towel or coffee filter and a rubber band. In a few days there are hundreds of eggs that hatch into maggots then flies. It sounds like a pain , but it really is easy and the culture last a month or better . Good Luck !

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
where did you buy this "biological" to get the larve from?

Sharon

Kevo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you not buy small maggots used by coarse anglers for bait :? In the uk they are sold as squats or pinkie maggots, very cheap and easy to use. Even the smallest of spiderlings has no probs tackling a squat and if you keep them chilled they last for weeks. Many hobbyists in the uk now use this alternative especially breeders. :}

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Just pop them in the frig for a few minutes...that slows them down enough to handle with tweezers.

Jeff

xanderTluv

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kevo
Can you not buy small maggots used by coarse anglers for bait :? In the uk they are sold as squats or pinkie maggots, very cheap and easy to use. Even the smallest of spiderlings has no probs tackling a squat and if you keep them chilled they last for weeks. Many hobbyists in the uk now use this alternative especially breeders. :}
Hey now thats a great idea! ill have to wait till fishing season starts back up, but just a month or so! Thanks!

xanderTluv

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by jcohen9999
Just pop them in the frig for a few minutes...that slows them down enough to handle with tweezers.

Jeff
This idea would work just perfect except i have alot of mouths to feed, and in no time they are heated up and running around!