Frozen Crickets?

Heatherbear

Arachnopeon
Can I feed my rose hair thawed frozen crickets? I've read on here that some people feed their slings frozen crickets. If this works it would be great because trying to capture the ones that don't get eaten is a challenge.:? :?

JESTERx626

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
go for it, that's what I do. I'd feed the crickets food prior to freezing though. That way the T can have a lil something extra at the least.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you have an adult (you didn't specify), it may not be interested in dead prey. Yeah, it works for many slings though. I do it myself. :)

Heatherbear

Arachnopeon
Thanks! This is my first T,had her a little over a week.After taking out the crickets when she decided she didn't want them I smushed one and left it there. A coulpe hours later I saw her dig up the smushed one and that got me wondering if frozen/dead crickets might work. I've been feeding the crickets orange slices and organic dog food. They seem to have gotten fatter....

the_mask86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
some of them take thawed frozen crickets, and some of them are so stubborn they ignore them no matter how long u leave it there or how many times u try dropping it in!

anyway, an easier way i found out to capture live uneaten ones are that, before throwing them in, pull off one or both of their hind legs. this makes retrieving them much easier imho.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My favored cricket capture strategy is one somebody on these forums suggested to me: get a stiff piece of paper and roll it up into a tube. Pinch/tape/fold/whatever one end shut. Then you just have to chase the cricket into a corner, put the open end over it, and let it climb up inside. Pinch the opening shut, and there you've caught your cricket.

My eyesight and my aim aren't great, so trying to catch them with tongs or my hands wasn't working very well. {D

zes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I tried killing a cricket and my 1 of my Ts didn't want it.
I realized that chilling them in the fridge for about 10mins slows the crickets down significantly and made it way easier to remove their hind legs while they still remain alive when i toss them into the enclosure.

Heatherbear

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice,I did end up freezing several of the crickets for later. After two weeks she has eaten two "freshly" dead crickets,so now I'm wondering if 2 or 3 crickets every week or so will be enough for her...

jme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
2-3 crickets will be fine you have to think sometimes these guys dont eat for months

Frankie_Dank

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have always found that a quick chilled cricket is much easier to feed to a sling than a dead one

Heatherbear

Arachnopeon
good to know,she's eaten both that were dead and didn't seem to care that they weren't alive,she actually pounced on them as if they were alive. I've looked for their remains,but it seems she must haven't eaten just about every part of them,nothing is left.

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im just happy my hentzi slings are eating!! They now have very fat butts :)

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
good to know,she's eaten both that were dead and didn't seem to care that they weren't alive,she actually pounced on them as if they were alive. I've looked for their remains,but it seems she must haven't eaten just about every part of them,nothing is left.
My rosea does the same thing, no matter what size crickets I feed her she'll devour every last morsel. I am yet to find a single remain of any of the crickets she's been fed. Saves me on cleanup {D

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks! This is my first T,had her a little over a week.After taking out the crickets when she decided she didn't want them I smushed one and left it there. A coulpe hours later I saw her dig up the smushed one and that got me wondering if frozen/dead crickets might work. I've been feeding the crickets orange slices and organic dog food. They seem to have gotten fatter....
tell me how many t's u have next month.... i got 3 more yesterday after a few years of keeping a t but then again i dont have a job (im 12) so i have to settle for 30 a month but i use most of it on video games =)

Heatherbear

Arachnopeon
She ate her first thawed frozen cricket! She's an adult chilean rosehair, so glad we have found an easier way to deal with the crickets.

the_mask86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
personally i feed my slings with thawed frozen cricket hind legs. at least until they are big enough to tackle a cricket without trouble.