Frogs for Ts

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I read everywhere that Ts are actualy big frogs and lizards eater. Avics are often seen in the wild munching on anolis. But it is true that warm blooded preys
are a very rare treat and they surely are less adapted to eat those, and I did experiment and clearly saw a difference (warm blooded prey items leave the T bloated for weeks while cold bloded ones are quickly digested). I collected frogs from a northern pond and fed them massively with no problem. I did quarantine them though, for some might have had nematodes.

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why would a lizard or frog be acceptable but a mouse not? By their very nature of being sit and wait predators, tarantulas are opportunistic carnivores. There's probably nothing about the physiology of their digestive processes that would leave them so discriminating, especially given that most have been captive bred and have no clue what their wild brethren are eating.
Like I said, I'm not a biochemist and not properly prepared to defend such a position...it's just a hunch. I'm sure CB animals have no idea what their wild brethren are eating, and that really wasn't my point. All I was saying is that surely the physiology of a warm blooded creature differs from that of a cold blooded animal.

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
All I was saying is that surely the physiology of a warm blooded creature differs from that of a cold blooded animal.
(1) Mammals versus herps;

(2) Vertebrates versus crickets.

The differences in physiology in (1) are insignificant relative to the differences in (2). I agree with you that a diet that's consistent with what is encountered in the wild is probably the more responsible way to go. But there's a lot of latitude in that consistency.

Arachn'auQuébec

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why would a lizard or frog be acceptable but a mouse not? By their very nature of being sit and wait predators, tarantulas are opportunistic carnivores. There's probably nothing about the physiology of their digestive processes that would leave them so discriminating, especially given that most have been captive bred and have no clue what their wild brethren are eating.
I would agree with this. Tarantulas will prey on anything the right size for them. If it's in their habitat, chances are they are used and adapted to eat it.As i can't remember of any tarantula habitat in the world where small vertebrates are absent, I don't see how that could be a serious problem. But then again, excess is never good...