frogs and tarantulas can be friends!?!?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Yup, there are quite a few species that actually do this. When I was in South America, I was talking to some biologists who studied the Xenesthis & Pamphobeteus genus living together with frogs in their burrows. Pretty interesting nonetheless.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Craziness! I don't think I'll try it myself but an awesome factoid none the less

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
aphonopelma hentzi and toads

I have witnessed aphonopelma hentzi and toads living together. A huge texas toad used to live in our meter box with a juvenile aphonopelma hentzi. Sometimes in the late evening I would see them just outside there burrow within inches of each other. The toad could almost take the tarantula in one gulp these toads around here are huge. I work in irrigation so I am looking in meter boxes all the time and see toads and tarantulas in several of the boxes. I think it would be neat to put a camera in the box to see how well they tolerate each other. then the next project would be filming the aphonopelma hentzi that think they are arboreal I would see them all the time catching geckos off the side of our apartment building one lived in the soffit of our neighbors building. Tarantulas are highly adaptive.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
If I ever have the room and the materials, Im definitely going to try it with a P. ornata. Not with the one I currently have, because sadly he is a male.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have heard as well about the mutualism between Xenesthis immanis and a frog that i don't remember the name, this things happens in the wild but i think it's impossible to replicate that scenario in captivity.

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
I watched a doc in Ts and it showed an Aphonapelma living with a frog. I think it ate the ants inside the burrow.