Frightening article about insects

The Seraph

Arachnolord
It is depressing, but I suppose that is the march of time. Things must change and die and disappear for other things to take their place. It is an integral part of the natural world. This die out will inevitably result in mass extinction and potentially ours, but there is almost nothing we can do about it. Alas, the natural world.

Edit: I realize that is should say "Alas, the human world" not the natural world as even if we will die the world will probably carry on and shrug off what we left behind.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It is depressing, but I suppose that is the march of time. Things must change and die and disappear for other things to take their place. It is an integral part of the natural world. This die out will inevitably result in mass extinction and potentially ours, but there is almost nothing we can do about it. Alas, the natural world.
Yep, I'd love a world/rebirth a la 'Devilman' (Go Nagai) :pompous:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel

Edit: I realize that is should say "Alas, the human world" not the natural world as even if we will die the world will probably carry on and shrug off what we left behind.
Insects are at the base of land-based food chains, without them it's going to be a LONG time before land life recovers. Would be somewhat like losing plankton in the sea.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I have more faith in life than in humans. We seem to be pretty good at screwing things up these days, but whether or not it leads to a human extinction life will go on.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I read an article a few days ago stating that global warming will cause vast increases in insect infestations. Those ‘experts’ need to make up their minds.

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
Maybe it will reduce overall biodiversity, leaving only a few insect species to dominate.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
And everyone ignores the elephant in the room. Or rather, elephantS in the ecosystems: Adaptation and niches, IE hexapoda plagues aka nature hates vacuums. Just don't expect to be miles of smiles about what she fills the voids with.

Last edited:

The Seraph

Arachnolord
And everyone ignores the elephant in the room. Or rather, elephantS in the ecosystems: Adaptation and niches, IE hexapoda plagues aka nature hates vacuums. Just don't expect to be miles of smiles about what she fills the voids with.
Here in Florida most of the insects I remember are gone but mosquitoes and dragonflies are now omnipresent.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Caught little bits and pieces of a discussion last night. The egghead crowd really needs to drop by the English language more often: Trumpian mentality. Factory farming regions. Environmental bio-isolation. Dystopian death spiral.
At least it's a topic of some concern in the loftiest halls of academia. Unlikely to have heard such references even 10 or 15 years ago. If I bump across references to white papers I'll try to post links.
Time for another rousing chorus of 'Don't worry, be happy'.

I should mention this gathering was/is part of an ad hoc symposium addressing Palm Oil plantation expansion - solutions become part of the problem all too often when avarice and greed get their mitts into things.

Trumpian mentality: isolationism and the me first attitude. Cited was Tesla's move to build a mega factory in China, Trump shot the American workforce in the foot as he could have instilled and installed measures that would have kept the operation on U.S. soil and laid a template out for future legislation and cooperative agreements to follow. A stipulation for environmental responsibility, potentially unilaterally, could easily be worked into this.

Last edited: