Friend's A. Avic sling spending time on ground - unsure what to do?

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
Hi there,

I recently went over to a friend's house, when she told me that she had a new A. avic sling. She and I are both concerned because the T is spending pretty much all the time on the substrate. The T has webbed up at the top, so it has been up there, but for the past 2 weeks, has been on the ground.

My friend is obviously concerned as she wants her little T to be OK. This is her first arboreal T and wants to do everything she can to keep this little one alive and well.

The T is about 1cm long DLS (about the size of a fingernail). It has got a plant to climb up and web, has 2 micro crickets a week and the side of the tub is misted weekly.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Hopeful T Owner xx

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Hi!

First of all, Avics do best with dry substrate, a waterdish (a bottle cap will do for a sling) light misting is fine, and you need to provide it with lots of ventilation (they tend to die in overly stuffy and humid environment)

What you're describing may be perfectly fine. Even avic slings tend to make dirt curtains from time to time, so this might be normal. My versi sling used to hang on its web all the time, but recently created a dirt curtain near the bottom and now it's in there most of the time.

A pic would be useful though :)

cold blood

Staff member
I generally see avics on the ground when conditions get too damp and stuffy..then they die.

I would personally dry things out and maximize ventilation.

They live in trees, things dry out very quickly up there.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I generally see avics on the ground when conditions get too damp and stuffy..then they die.
I said that dirt curtains are normal with avics, but I said that only because my versi made one.. Is this actually normal? My diversipes has made a web tunnel which is why I'm now weirded out. I have not come across many threads describing dirt curtains with avics.. Or maybe my versi is too close to my irminia and has picked up a few things :D

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
Hi there
Thanks for the quick replies.
I'm at work at the moment, but going back to my friend's tomorrow, so will post a picture then.
Hopeful T Owner xx

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I said that dirt curtains are normal with avics, but I said that only because my versi made one.. Is this actually normal? My diversipes has made a web tunnel which is why I'm now weirded out. I have not come across many threads describing dirt curtains with avics.. Or maybe my versi is too close to my irminia and has picked up a few things :D
my versicolor decided to make webs near the ground after being the same cage for a year. but none of my avics have made dirt curtains.

cold blood

Staff member
While i certainly wouldnt call it normal, there are instances where it can and does happen, although ive personally never seen a healthy sling on the ground for excessive amounts of time.

Back when i used a heat bath was the exception, as all my avics, slings included, burrowed. But the heat source was the obvious reason, so i never worried.

I also have an AF urticans thats made its primary home under a pile of leaves it dragged down from the top....she has dirt curtains and everything....it worried me a little...like 2 years ago...now its just how it lives. I hate it because shes not visible most if the time. All my other avics spend almost no time on the ground. Oddly my other urticans (same size @ just over 6") does sit on the ground from time to time, but she doesnt stay.

But generally it is a source of concern IMO.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
The first web my versi made was a tube going from the bottom of the enclosure to the top. That being said, just hanging out on the sub is a different issue. Pics are always helpful. Does your friend keep the avic on damp sub? Is there enough ventilation?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
It's not normal.. Your versi should be webbed up somewhat near the top of the enclosure.
It has webbed up near the top.. It was like that for half a year.. My husbandry hasnt changed at all.. It just made a dirt curtain overnight o_O.. And now it's in there.. And it's 4i ATM.. It has dry sub and once a week I give it one spray across tje web, like I always used to do..

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
My A. avicularia subadult male has made certain areas his tastefully decorated dirt curtains. He's also made layers upon layers of webs. So cool. And of course nothing reaches the ground.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is this actually normal?
No it isn't generally, BUT!! It does happen. I have an AF A. minatrix, made a beautiful web canopy, rehoused her into a larger flat-- well she made a rather dense web tube on the substrate, stayed that way for months. I finally removed her from it, and she went back to making a web canopy (same container that she made the substrate tube on.)

Ts are highly adaptable, no one can explain why they pick the home they do. It's not normal, but it does happen on occasion.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I said that dirt curtains are normal with avics, but I said that only because my versi made one.. Is this actually normal? My diversipes has made a web tunnel which is why I'm now weirded out. I have not come across many threads describing dirt curtains with avics..
My elderly Avicularia avicularia went through a brief phase where she made a dirt hammock an inch above the substrate under her cork log and would hang out around there. This was during her extraordinarily long pre-molt fast.

Once the hammock deteriorated due to wear and tear and cage maintenance, she abandoned it and returned to higher up in the cork log.

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
The first web my versi made was a tube going from the bottom of the enclosure to the top. That being said, just hanging out on the sub is a different issue. Pics are always helpful. Does your friend keep the avic on damp sub? Is there enough ventilation?
A. avic is on dry substrate. Ventilation goes from the bottom to the top, as it's in an upturned cricket container.
I'm going back to my friend's house later today, so I'll be able to take photos then.
Thanks for all the replies - they've been really helpful.
Hopeful T Owner xx