Freshwater Fish

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Does anyone here have any experience with freshwater fish? I've been looking around, and finding a lot of conflicting info about them. I'd like specifically, to have a tank of black and white angel fish (all black and all white mixed) Can I put these together normally, and if so, will a 20 gallon hex work out ok?

Bill

joseofsa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i used to breed angels. of course it would be fine to mix and match colors? could you pm me some of the sites that posted info that would lead one to believe differing colored angels would cause a problem. the only way this info could be valid is if they wanted to breed a specific color line true. um a hex...never used one but like with all fish ask how many are you going to have? i would only keep a pair to every 25 gallons. i would say 3-4 but i never used a hex so i may be wrong. and angels can get to a good size.
hope this helps
jose

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with joseofsa... a pair to every 20 or so gallons, color shouldn't be an issue in cohabitation success unless breeding for specifics, and the shape of the tank... I'm not sure, actually. A hexagonal tank will be taller in most cases, so it depends on where the fish prefer to hang out... surface, middle, or bottom. And I'm not certain about Angels, but I'm thinking mid to surface swimmers for the most part... no? (I can go look)

Just keep in mind that Angels are cichlids... and well, cichlids can be right "nasty" in dimeanor if they so choose. {D This said, more space for each fish is the way to go... minimum 10g per fish involved... even when they are little tykes. And lots of plants to break up the line of sight and hide and even lay eggs, if they ever decide to breed.

Good Luck! Sorry I couldn't be any more help, but I keep "Fighters" from Thailand mostly, one goofy Oscar and a few different species of loaches, some frogs and two HUGE goldfish. :D

joseofsa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes all chiclids can be little devils and fight or if you get a few together while they are young they will enjoy the company and school together or at least tolerate one another. LMAO i love oscars they are the puppys of the water!

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a pair of angels in a 29 gal hex. They outgrew it. If you are bent on a hexagon (which are very pretty tanks) I would go with the largest width you can find. They generally like to hang out in the middle of the tank, and you would be best to start out with a group of little ones rather than trying to mix and match adults. They will terrorize their tank mates. Nothing angelic about them. :p

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a 29 gallon tall and used to keep angels in it, I could only fit 2-3 adults in it comfortably. I think for a large tank of angels you will probably need a 55.

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah I would also suggest on going with a larger, longer, tank. In a 20 hex an adult angel would be swimming in circles.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I heard angelfish can be aggressive towards each other and other fish, are there certain angels that are like this?

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
I heard angelfish can be aggressive towards each other and other fish, are there certain angels that are like this?
I have a pair of angels in a community tank, and they dont even acknowledge there are other fish in the tank. I have had them since they were a few weeks old and they grew up around the other fish. But I think there are some individuals that are much more forgiving than others when it comes to tankmates.
The rest of the fish in the tank are for the most part barbs, tigers, green tigers, albino tigers, rosys and cherrys. There are a few other fish in the tank as well that are also capable of holding their own if they had to.
I don't reccomend keeping them with other fish, but if you choose to do so, watch them and see how they get along over a long period of time.

Chris

joseofsa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
chiclids are a group of fish that by nature are agressive. if raised properly they can be docile and easy going but if raised isolated as a single fish or group of fish they will take a new fish (same species or not) and will be aggresive twords the new fish. circumstances can change this such as spawning. if you want them to be communal get all the fish over a short period of time and when you add a fish change plant position or add somthin new to take the fishs' mind off the new comers.
jose

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Thanks guys,

This is exactly the type of input I was looking for. I wanted a hex because it would fit better in my living room, but wasn't sure about how they'd handle that. So now I have a choice.. get a rectangular aquarium, or different fish for a hex.. I really like the black angelfish, so I'm leaning towards different aquarium..

Bill

joseofsa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well if you want the hex i would recomend a setup with a med to lagre school of small tetras(neons to be specific)for the mid-bottom,a few hatchet fish or a few guppys for the top-mid and some Corydoras for the bottom a basic setup but looks good and works for your space, but if you truely want angels get a standard rectangle tank. 25 gallon and you could get away with haveing 3 angels.