Found this female blck jumping spider and it made a sac..

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cought this little girl about a month ago and despite her size (half inch) she is one of my most entertaining spiders. watching her stalk her prey and jump attack it is amazing.

anyhow I have no idea what kind of spider it is nor how I am supposed to take care of it now that she made a sac... Anyone know how to care for it? :confused:

here are some pics..had a hard time getting my camera to focus on her.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yup...i keep mine moderatly moist(mist once a week) feed twice a week. fascinating spiders huh. mine hasnt droped her sac yet but i will advise you to fins some springtails for sale. your going to need them! goodluck.

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have no idea what a sringtail is? I have a vial of flightless fruit flies though? she tackles my baby dubia like no tomorrow too. How long before I see any babys come out of the sac?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im not sure...id advise springtails honestly...FFF are pretty big for a baby jumper...there freaking tiny!

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Springtails are easy to catch. Just take a piece of paper towel, and lay it in the grass overnight. You may want to put a rock on top, or something, to keep it from blowing away. In the morning, shake gently it into a container. You'll most likely have a bunch of the little buggers.

Baby jumpers also LOVE aphids. If you have rose bushes, there are most likely some aphids living in them.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm..

I got a culture of collembola (springtails) from Josh's Frogs, but haven't seen my jumping spider slings eat them.

They've mostly eaten freshly hatched sac spiders, tiny leafhoppers and moth caterpillars. I'd buy cricket eggs if there's a market. Pinheads are still too big. Any spider egg sacs I came across outdoors I kept until they hatched and gave them to the spiderlings but got rid of any that molted. I don't feed widow slings because they just grow too darn fast.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
tiny leafhoppers
good for you, that's probably what they'd be finding in the wild :clap:

oh, also, freshly hatched mosquitos work perfectly. they are really really tiny and are practically helpless. very easy for anything to take down.

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well they are hatchet but still in the sac.. I see little spiders with little legs slowly moving aound. I need to start looking for "springtails" or something now I guess.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool

Thanks for the mosquito suggestion, Widow. I could deffinately try that since the young of mosquitoes are so easy to raise - just warm water and algae. We often get them in our fountain now that the mosquito fish (Gambusia Affinis) aren't there anymore to eat them.

Yeah, they seem to love the leafhoppers a lot. Mine seem to give up too quickly with the fruitflies like, "Ah, can't catch it! Forget choo!" Too bad you can't breed leafhoppers and believe me - I've tried! They aren't like crickets at all. They always need plants to suck the life out of and they jump and fly REALLY good! :eek:

After their first molt, that's when they'll begin leaving the nest and start hunting. I noticed they leave the communal quicker when it's warm for some reason. They are very active when light and warm.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Thanks for the mosquito suggestion, Widow. I could deffinately try that since the young of mosquitoes are so easy to raise - just warm water and algae. We often get them in our fountain now that the mosquito fish (Gambusia Affinis) aren't there anymore to eat them.

Yeah, they seem to love the leafhoppers a lot. Mine seem to give up too quickly with the fruitflies like, "Ah, can't catch it! Forget choo!" Too bad you can't breed leafhoppers and believe me - I've tried! They aren't like crickets at all. They always need plants to suck the life out of and they jump and fly REALLY good! :eek:

After their first molt, that's when they'll begin leaving the nest and start hunting. I noticed they leave the communal quicker when it's warm for some reason. They are very active when light and warm.
sweet. you don't really have to "raise" them per say, just snatch em as soon as they hatch out if you're looking for really small ones. also, sounds about right, everything seems to speed up with heat, faster metabolism, etc.