Found outside in Rochester, NY so became T owner

n12schreiber

Arachnopeon
Found this guy outside my apartment in Rochester, NY. Obviously not native to my area so assumption is discarded or escaped. I got it identified by a group on Facebook who suggested that I post here. It's been eating those tiny crickets you can buy at the pet store and seems to be pretty healthy other than the fact that it's missing legs. I know nothing about tarantulas so I read the beginner info thread which had a lot of good stuff in it, so hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong.

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Found this guy outside my apartment in Rochester, NY. Obviously not native to my area so assumption is discarded or escaped. I got it identified by a group on Facebook who suggested that I post here. It's been eating those tiny crickets you can buy at the pet store and seems to be pretty healthy other than the fact that it's missing legs. I know nothing about tarantulas so I read the beginner info thread which had a lot of good stuff in it, so hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong.
How small is it? That's probably someone's long lost escaped sling, most likely one of the neighboring apartments.

What did the group on Facebook ID it as? I wouldn't be so certain they were right, many slings look very similar when small.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Very interesting. Looking like its too small to get too specific of an ID. Someone with more experience in this field may be able to get at least the genus.
Also looking like the abdomen is getting darkish so it may molt soon.
Post some pics of the entire setup and we'll help you out!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Its Theraphosidae , thats for sure.

Though, if I was to make a guess I would say its Brahypelma albopilosum ;)

n12schreiber

Arachnopeon
It's about the size of a penny, give or take. They just ID'd it as a tarantula (I had no idea what it was other than a spider I had never seen before) and their guess was Brachypelma, Grammostola, Aphonopelma, or Lasioroda. I will post some pictures of my setup when I get home later on tonight.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
PFFF, what a story. We always hear about the long lost slings, but I'm not sure we've ever heard about some non-hobbyist finding someone's lost sling.

boina

Lady of the mites
It's very cute. And a very, very lucky sling to get found by a human who will care for it - instead of a cat, a dog, a rat, a pidgeon, or any other human.

boina

Lady of the mites
Its Theraphosidae , thats for sure.

Though, if I was to make a guess I would say its Brahypelma albopilosum ;)
Why?

I mean Theraphosidae, absolutely. Brachypelma - possible. But albopilosum???

cold blood

Staff member
Probably a breeder or someone who bred it in the area apts. It will be interesting to see as it grows. Nice save!

Leila

Arachnobaron
Um, lots of slings that are that tiny look very similar. How in the heck are you guys calling genus, and even species, on this baby T? Obviously, we can say that sling is not so-and-so T that has a characteristic orange, chevron, etc bum...but?

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
Well just a guess but they do look similar and Brachys are pretty popular.