Found my T's Stash

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Since having my B. albo I haven't found one bolus. Check it's hide, water dish, in the plant and all looks clean. I had a look around and found that some T's eat everything so assumed it was doing the same. Then today I get home and check on him and notice little white spots by some moss. Turns out its been burying its leftovers underneath a big bit of webbed up sphagnum moss! Only saw it because the white showed through the gaps. I assume the white stuff is mold? All removed now though.
I have noticed it going to the corner where the moss is and moving it's front legs but never checked what was going on. Sneaky little thing...

Also I think I got a mean one! As I was digging up the moss he turns and comes straight for the tongs from other side of the cage. Fed it last night so doubt it was just a feeding response! Plus when checking if it could be handled it was striking at the brush after a couple gentle prods so none of my fingers are going near it!

NOTE - I know many of you guys are against handling and I have already had "the talk" from a few of you. I know the risks for me and the T and am not looking for more lectures on the subject.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Yea, I’ve had T’s that do the same thing too. A bit of an annoyance since I’m always overthinking about mites and mold, but it is what it is.

Pro tip: I would omit the handling part if you don’t want to get any comments regarding it.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Classic, "B.albo's are so tame dude, best species to handle by far...OUCH!". :rolleyes:

It just wants to hug and cuddle your fingers, don't be scared. :vamp:

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Yea, I’ve had T’s that do the same thing too. A bit of an annoyance since I’m always overthinking about mites and mold, but it is what it is.

Pro tip: I would omit the handling part if you don’t want to get any comments regarding it.
I didn't think I'd be getting outsmarted by a creature without the ability to think...
And subconsiously I probably wanted to get into an argument about it :embarrassed:

Classic, "B.albo's are so tame dude, best species to handle by far...OUCH!". :rolleyes:

It just wants to hug and cuddle your fingers, don't be scared. :vamp:
Just want to make clear I did not get a B. albo just because people say it's easy to handle. Got one cos they are so freakin fluffy!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I didn't think I'd be getting outsmarted by a creature without the ability to think...
And subconsiously I probably wanted to get into an argument about it :embarrassed:

Just want to make clear I did not get a B. albo just because people say it's easy to handle. Got one cos they are so freakin fluffy!
All good, just joking around a bit. These are an excellent beginner species.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
... i'm not saying handleability (is that even a word?) wasn't a factor though. <-- Now I'm catching myself subconsciously searching for a handling argument. <-- and that statement makes it seems like it's not subconscious at all and am actively looking for an argument.

Great. Now I'm analysing every sentence for hidden meaning including this one...

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Seriously though, for a guy who doesn't want to spark the whole handling debate...you keep bringing it up. :cool:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Since having my B. albo I haven't found one bolus. Check it's hide, water dish, in the plant and all looks clean. I had a look around and found that some T's eat everything so assumed it was doing the same. Then today I get home and check on him and notice little white spots by some moss. Turns out its been burying its leftovers underneath a big bit of webbed up sphagnum moss! Only saw it because the white showed through the gaps. I assume the white stuff is mold? All removed now though.
I have noticed it going to the corner where the moss is and moving it's front legs but never checked what was going on. Sneaky little thing...

Also I think I got a mean one! As I was digging up the moss he turns and comes straight for the tongs from other side of the cage. Fed it last night so doubt it was just a feeding response! Plus when checking if it could be handled it was striking at the brush after a couple gentle prods so none of my fingers are going near it!

NOTE - I know many of you guys are against handling and I have already had "the talk" from a few of you. I know the risks for me and the T and am not looking for more lectures on the subject.
At least you're smart enough to check the temperament of the T instead of just reaching in and grabbing it. If you already understand all the consequences of handling, I'm not going to waste my energy typing it out. Just make sure you're doing it safely. No holding it chest height above the ground, or putting it on your face "because it's cool" and the like.

Don't worry too much about some mold or mites here and there (this is directed at you too @Phormic28). It's not as much of an issue as it sounds and as certain sources make it out to be. You can pluck out bits of mold as you see it, but it usually isn't necessary. And mites are just a free clean up crew :)

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Seriously though, for a guy who doesn't want to spark the whole handling debate...you keep bringing it up. :cool:
Well someone has to derail this thread that was barely railed towards anything substantial in the first place and who better than the threads OP?

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Your albo got the same temperament as mine, great feeding response despite just being fed and already plump. She attacks the water dish every time she's near when I pour water on it. :rofl:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Fed it last night so doubt it was just a feeding response!
It was most probably a feeding response, I could feed my girl in the morning and then tickle the ground with a cable tie in the evening and she'd go for it thinking it was food.

They're opportunistic, they will eat anything they can get their palps on until they either fill up or they've had enough to see them through to their next moult.