Found little spiders in my room; tarantulas??

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Brazil

Where is there evidence that tarantulas kill dogs and primates?

Nak
Nak,I think that would be Brazil or the Amazon Rain Forest....I remember watching a program on this subject(Native Tribes) on Cable and they had a segment on what these Tribes eat and what competes for the food and T's were one of them.

nakazanie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:clap: Yay! Actual peer-reviewed scientific research! You obviously don't know how this forum works. You are supposed to make wild, unsubstantiated claims! (Oh, wait, you're a mod.... :) so I guess you know how it works.)

Thanks for posting this. I am still looking for cat evidence. I'll start a thread with what I find.

BTW, someone suggested that the fact that a spider bite can kill a dog implies that it can kill a cat. This is false. I'm sure there are toxins that kill dogs but not cats.

I want to hear about the OP's loose spiderlings again! Find any more?

Nak

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:clap: Yay! Actual peer-reviewed scientific research! You obviously don't know how this forum works. You are supposed to make wild, unsubstantiated claims!

Nak
{D {D {D

Yeah, I'm wondering about the O.P's situation, too. How are the slings that you caught and did you find anymore? Do any surprise night searches with a flashlight? I caught an escaped sac spider momma that way.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I look with a flashlight for any crawling around the walls or ceiling just about every night, have yet to find anymore that way. I did find two inside a DVD case that was partially open, though. And theres still the one that I am letting stay in the corner of the room.

nakazanie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I look with a flashlight for any crawling around the walls or ceiling just about every night, have yet to find anymore that way. I did find two inside a DVD case that was partially open, though. And theres still the one that I am letting stay in the corner of the room.
Also, someone suggested sticky traps.

Nak

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also, someone suggested sticky traps.

Nak
Not a good idea, unless you're trying to kill them. I got the impression that the OP initially was a bit fearul of having live OBTs around, but got more comfortable with the situation as he thought about it more. (OK maybe he's not thrilled about having live OBTs around his room, but he seems more comfortable with dealing with the situation through non-lethal ways.)

nakazanie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not a good idea, unless you're trying to kill them. I got the impression that the OP initially was a bit fearul of having live OBTs around, but got more comfortable with the situation as he thought about it more. (OK maybe he's not thrilled about having live OBTs around his room, but he seems more comfortable with dealing with the situation through non-lethal ways.)
Is there not a safe way to remove the spider from the trap?

Nak

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there not a safe way to remove the spider from the trap?
I've heard of people getting mice off a glue trap by using those spray non-stick chemicals made for cooking. But a mouse is not in danger of rupturing its exoskeleton and killing itself. Baby tarantulas are a bit more delicate - and the spray-stuff you'd use to loosen the glue might easily drown or suffocate a baby spider even if the spider didn't damage its exoskeleton.

Snuggles

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll try and find it but I read a thread where P. metallica got out (juvie...3" or so) and both it and the cat ended up dying, if I remember correctly.
(Sorry to hijack thread, but I am really interested in this)

From what I understand, a cat has characteristics similar to a human, where tarantula venom will harm but not kill. I have read that dogs are actually more susceptible to severe reactions.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From what I understand, a cat has characteristics similar to a human, where tarantula venom will harm but not kill. I have read that dogs are actually more susceptible to severe reactions.
There are some serious differences between how a cat reacts to some chemicals and how humans react to the same ones. For instance, aspirin is deadly to cats. And their reaction to some venoms (snake venoms, anyway) are much different. I remember years ago at a local "zoo" a rattlesnake got into the cage of an ocelot and bit the ocelot in the head. The only treatment the ocelot received was cortisone to reduce the swelling - and the cat recovered quickly. Short of seeing actual observations of cats reacting to tarantula bites, I'd be real hesitant to predict the results based on a supposed similarity to humans.

nakazanie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are some serious differences between how a cat reacts to some chemicals and how humans react to the same ones. For instance, aspirin is deadly to cats. And their reaction to some venoms (snake venoms, anyway) are much different. I remember years ago at a local "zoo" a rattlesnake got into the cage of an ocelot and bit the ocelot in the head. The only treatment the ocelot received was cortisone to reduce the swelling - and the cat recovered quickly. Short of seeing actual observations of cats reacting to tarantula bites, I'd be real hesitant to predict the results based on a supposed similarity to humans.
Yes, and also, for example, a funnel web's venom can be lethal to humans but not so harmful to cats. Still awaiting (and looking for) any evidence that a T bite can be lethal to cats. (BTW, "My grandma knew a guy who had a cousin who knew a cat..." is not evidence. {D )

Nak