Found little spiders in my room; tarantulas??

Snuggles

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, and if the right spider gets out, you'll wind up with a dead cat.
Your source? I've researched this and have had many conversations on other boards and there appear to be no documented cases.

nakazanie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your source? I've researched this and have had many conversations on other boards and there appear to be no documented cases.
I also have looked into this a little. It seems like a cat would pretty much <edit> up any tarantula. And I, too, have found no credible evidence that a tarantula's bite is lethal to a cat. They also seem to be very good at not getting bit! I have seen them hunt just about anything that is smaller than they - bees, wasps, centipedes, rodents, birds, fish, spiders, turtles, lizards, snakes. Never so much as a scratch! I love cats. They are such vicious predators.

Anyway, the point was not to gush about how much I love cats. :eek: Certainly, the OP's loose s'lings would be no match for a cat at their size. With larger tarantulas, the main thing that I would worry about with my cats is the urticating hairs. :eek:

Nak

Last edited by a moderator:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If several Australian species of T's can be lethal to dogs and A. robustus can be unduly lethal to primates it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find that, say, P. murinus or whatever was inordinately lethal to cats. Documentation? No but it bears consideration IMO.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I also have looked into this a little. It seems like a cat would pretty much <edit> up any tarantula. And I, too, have found no credible evidence that a tarantula's bite is lethal to a cat. They also seem to be very good at not getting bit! I have seen them hunt just about anything that is smaller than they - bees, wasps, centipedes, rodents, birds, fish, spiders, turtles, lizards, snakes. Never so much as a scratch! I love cats. They are such vicious predators.

Anyway, the point was not to gush about how much I love cats. :eek: Certainly, the OP's loose s'lings would be no match for a cat at their size. With larger tarantulas, the main thing that I would worry about with my cats is the urticating hairs. :eek:

Nak
that i s why I hate cats and wish that domestic cats(and the feral ones too) were extinct. Cats are too human like. they kill for no reason .

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
that i s why I hate cats and wish that domestic cats(and the feral ones too) were extinct. Cats are too human like. they kill for no reason .
That's a bit of a stretch. I'm really sorry for the rant, but this kind of irked me. Last I checked, it's always a human being responsible for brutally torturing, and dismembering the bodies of multiple victims before burying them in the foundation of their house....or at the bottom of a lake.....or saving them in the freezer for tomorrow's lunch.....(Dahmer, Gacey, Gein, Bundy, Manson, etc.) And to my knowledge, it's only us human beings that actually get a thrill out of, and sometimes thrive on terrorizing the weak and helpless. Remember the school-yard bully? Or the Unibomber? How about Germany, 1942???? Even worse is the atrocities commited in Manchuria by the Japanese at a compound called Unit 731. That place made Mengele's experement ward at Auschwitz seem like Club Med. And the American government actually pardoned the most brutal war criminals in world history, like Shiro Ishii, because we benefitted from it.

Seldom in my life have I seen a cat do anything malevolant outside of it's natural instincts to hunt pests. Instinct is what drives them, and not some wish to intentionally kill or harm living things for their amusement. We humans are the ones that domesticated them, and all but bred out their natural instincts. So if you're wishing extinction on a species, then look to the species that is so happily responsible for the rapidly increasing destruction of natures design.

Having said all that: It is those few human qualities that endear me to cats. My two are the best friends, and companions I could ever as for. Unlike dogs, they are extremely independant, and clever...but are just as loyal and loving as any canine. And they are smart enough to stay away from my Tarantulas....in fact, they have no interest in big, hairy spiders....just the stupid crickets. You'd be amazed at how many escaped crickets my kitties have hunted down for me. All I have to do is feed them and love them, and they give me so much more in return.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's a bit of a stretch. I'm really sorry for the rant, but this kind of irked me. Last I checked, it's always a human being responsible for brutally torturing, and dismembering the bodies of multiple victims before burying them in the foundation of their house....or at the bottom of a lake.....or saving them in the freezer for tomorrow's lunch.....(Dahmer, Gacey, Gein, Bundy, Manson, etc.) And to my knowledge, it's only us human beings that actually get a thrill out of, and sometimes thrive on terrorizing the weak and helpless. Remember the school-yard bully? Or the Unibomber? How about Germany, 1942???? Even worse is the atrocities commited in Manchuria by the Japanese at a compound called Unit 731. That place made Mengele's experement ward at Auschwitz seem like Club Med. And the American government actually pardoned the most brutal war criminals in world history, like Shiro Ishii, because we benefitted from it.

Seldom in my life have I seen a cat do anything malevolant outside of it's natural instincts to hunt pests. Instinct is what drives them, and not some wish to intentionally kill or harm living things for their amusement. We humans are the ones that domesticated them, and all but bred out their natural instincts. So if you're wishing extinction on a species, then look to the species that is so happily responsible for the rapidly increasing destruction of natures design.

Having said all that: It is those few human qualities that endear me to cats. My two are the best friends, and companions I could ever as for. Unlike dogs, they are extremely independant, and clever...but are just as loyal and loving as any canine. And they are smart enough to stay away from my Tarantulas....in fact, they have no interest in big, hairy spiders....just the stupid crickets. You'd be amazed at how many escaped crickets my kitties have hunted down for me. All I have to do is feed them and love them, and they give me so much more in return.

cats fed too much by humans kill anything they can and do not eat it. that is killing for no reason. I keep hoping a big hawk or eagle will take up residence in one the the trees near my house and decide that cats taste good. Those things keep trying to kill the birds i spent a lot of money feeding and trying to get coming to my yard. Cats ARE the pests. All cats should be spayed or neutered. Man really screws up . domesticating cats was a poor idea. oh well To each his own. i prefer tarantulas to cats. 1000 cat deaths are not as important as one rosie sling to me .

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll try and find it but I read a thread where P. metallica got out (juvie...3" or so) and both it and the cat ended up dying, if I remember correctly.

From what I've also heard (nothing concrete) tarantula venom is designed more for killing mammals than it is for killing insects. The basic idea being that insects are for the most part not much of a thread to tarantulas.

Not counting tarantula hawks or any other predatory insects that focus on tarantulas.

Anyway...I agree that P. murinus at this size is going to be negligible for a cat, but I'm sure an adult could do some damage to a cat. I barely want to think about what would happen if my 16-month-old son got tagged by one, and he weighs more than most cats.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'll try and find it but I read a thread where P. metallica got out (juvie...3" or so) and both it and the cat ended up dying, if I remember correctly.

From what I've also heard (nothing concrete) tarantula venom is designed more for killing mammals than it is for killing insects. The basic idea being that insects are for the most part not much of a thread to tarantulas.

Not counting tarantula hawks or any other predatory insects that focus on tarantulas.

Anyway...I agree that P. murinus at this size is going to be negligible for a cat, but I'm sure an adult could do some damage to a cat. I barely want to think about what would happen if my 16-month-old son got tagged by one, and he weighs more than most cats.
I am sure it would pretty much suck for both parties involved.

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
cats fed too much by humans kill anything they can and do not eat it. that is killing for no reason. I keep hoping a big hawk or eagle will take up residence in one the the trees near my house and decide that cats taste good. Those things keep trying to kill the birds i spent a lot of money feeding and trying to get coming to my yard. Cats ARE the pests. All cats should be spayed or neutered. Man really screws up . domesticating cats was a poor idea. oh well To each his own. i prefer tarantulas to cats. 1000 cat deaths are not as important as one rosie sling to me .
Hehe....I still think that's a little too far, but you're right. Spaying and neutering your pet ABSOLUTELY is the most responsible thing to do. Originally, cats were domesticated to keep pests away from the villiage / farm. But now, in our heyday of light-up sneakers, condominiums, and microwave dinners, we have no further use for domesticated animals, except for our own amusement.

In all honesty, I prefer my bugs to the cats anyway....I love having lots of animals, but I'd hate to clean out 12 litterboxes, and buy 4 bags of food a month. Also, my T's don't bug me for attention when I'm on Arachnoboards, LOL!!! People think I'm crazy for keeping so many T's until I give them those comparisons. I love my cats, though. My oldest was a runt, and barely alive at six-weeks when I got him. My other was a rejected adoption due for termination, and she was clearly from an abusive home. Both cats were thrown on me, and because I'm very compassionate for all living things, I took care of them. Had them for four years now. Both are fixed and microchipped, and are the sweetest little fuzzballs next to my A. versicolor.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... and A. robustus can be unduly lethal to primates...
Unduly lethal as opposed to acceptably lethal? :p

Kind of makes me think of the perpetual question that herpers always hear - "Which snake has the deadliest bite?" (If a snake injects you with 20 times the dose of venom required to kill you, will you be any deader than if bitten by another species that only injects 10 times the dose required to kill you?)

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ugh. That would be one crappy day.

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is a little off topic, but had a friend whose cat decided to try fishing in the aquarium. Fortunately, she pulled the cat out the second it went in.....it was a piranha tank. The possibilities remind me of the famous far side cartoon.

Last edited:

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
We have 3 cats and per year they bring into our garage at least a dozen birds and a couple dozen mice that they don't eat.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm sure with some creativity you could thin the herd a bit. I have an uncle who lives in the country and his property is constantly infested with feral cats. Once every so often he and his sons break out the guns and keep the population in check.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I'm sure with some creativity you could thin the herd a bit. I have an uncle who lives in the country and his property is constantly infested with feral cats. Once every so often he and his sons break out the guns and keep the population in check.
I so want to help :)

I don;t mind other people's cats.. but I live near someone who just lets their cats breed, and breed.

one disadvantage to living ala rural.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I so want to help :)

I don;t mind other people's cats.. but I live near someone who just lets their cats breed, and breed.

one disadvantage to living ala rural.
Just start putting food out for them a bit out from your deck or wherever at a certain time every day for a week. Ever heard of "the last supper"? lol.