Found little spiders in my room; tarantulas??

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
OBT slings? I do have a female WC OBT, but I have never seen her drop a sac. I actually see her often and can see in her burrow, so it wouldnt be a secret.
They make hammock sacs. They blend in. I had two sacs by suprise.. from OBT's.

best of luck.

<added>

OOps missed an entire page..

And yes my first thoughts were OBT slings.

I've had 4 sacs of those.. one JUST LIKE YOU. most escaped I was finding them all over the basement ( spider room is in the basement) for about 4 weeks, then nothing.

The ones I was finding towards the end were soooo dehydrated and skinny I'm sure they wouldn't have lasted much longer.

Don't worry.. look as often as you can now.. but don't bomb the place ( is my advice )

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This whole situation is really ironic. The OBT is the one T that I actively did NOT want to breed. But none of my G. rosea dropped sacs, and my H. mac molted out after breeding and all my MM's died. So my first home-grown slings will be OBT whether I like it or not!
LOL...nice!

kc7wdg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I suppose now is as good a time as any to mention that OBT mommas can double clutch from a single breeding..... riiiiight Ryan? :)

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
send me some.. I don't have any OBT's and might as well have something nasty here, heh.

Also, they're very cute! I doubt they'll grow up in your house though unless you lived in like Florida.

/edit- Maryland? They'll be gone by winter for sure if not sooner. Hey, I'll trade you an N. chromatus sling for one, lol. My Cyriocosmus bertae may be gravid as well, she's WC and her bum is getting HUUUUGE

also how long ago did you mate your G. rosea's? I've heard of them going up to a year before laying a sack.

Last edited:

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
to the OP, just be happy you dont live in a place with native Ts and then have the possiblility of OBTs escaping, surviving and building a wild population around your house:eek:

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I suppose now is as good a time as any to mention that OBT mommas can double clutch from a single breeding..... riiiiight Ryan? :)
Actually, I found that out today when excavating the tank! I sifted through ALL the substrate and picked out any slings I found. Ended up with 12 more live ones, four in mid-molt that may or may not survive now, and several undeveloped eggs and a dead egg-with-legs. As I was picking apart her web-mat, I didn't realize that I was staring right at the actual egg-sac! It consisted of just a flat spot in the mat with tons of strong webbing. When I investigated her old hide, I found ANOTHER sac, but it was completely dead; the entire sac was dark and clumped together, with a few dead embryos. After hearing people say that these guys "thrive on neglect", I gave her very little attention, and it seems that is the only thing that kept me from having even more babies! Well, either that or her being WC I guess.

After accidentally killing one, and giving away another, the total is now 18.

To the people saying they will not survive in my house, I did not really explain that since this is in my bedroom, and my bedroom is also my animal room, I keep the temperatures at the perfect levels for these guys to thrive. Temps are usually 70-85 degrees F 24/7. While I dont know what they will be this winter, I dont plan on dropping them too much, and my parents will probably have the heat blasting. Also, there are TONS of little spiders and other weird bugs running all over the place, thus plenty of food. So, short of water, conditions are just about perfect for these guys to at least reach 1-2+", I would say.

More pics:
the sac

dead/dud eggs

the results

momma

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I lost a one inch H.maculata sling and found a 3 incher roaming my house 14 months later, so the survival potential for P.murinis under the conditions you describe is good. I'd keep a capture cup handy and just hope any lady friends you have over to visit think finding live tarantulas in your room makes you a stud. :razz: Di

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, looking at Google pics, they definitely look exactly like OBT slings....
:wall:

This is really not cool! How am I gonna get a girl to sleep over when I have dangerous tarantulas roaming my bedroom?!

Just checked the OBT tank, and you guys were right! There are some babies in there with her!

When I got her, she was really really fat! Then she suddenly shrank, but I thought it was just bad dehydration! I never saw a sac, but I guess it must have been in there because now I have babies!

!!!!!!

How many babies do OBTs usually have? I am only seeing maybe a handful more in there. At this size, I am expecting they ate most of their siblings, right?
:eek: did they chew through mesh wire?

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This was a very fun read, I must say. If you did live in a place they could thrive you would have to get a sign for your yard. Instead of "Beware of Dog" it would be "Beware of OBT" LOL I think that needs to be made anyway...

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This was a very fun read, I must say. If you did live in a place they could thrive you would have to get a sign for your yard. Instead of "Beware of Dog" it would be "Beware of OBT" LOL I think that needs to be made anyway...
Went to a show a while back and saw a couple "Beware of Attack Tarantula" signs but none that specific.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, that's crazy. This is some real world experience you can't replace though. This happened to someone else I know and she was finding those little suckers for months! What a great story you'll have to tell now.

If you want me to take some of those slings off your hands i'd be glad to do so. Since i'm right up the road I could meet you halfway or something.

Micheldied, OBT slings are funny like that. Their orange is kind of like a dalmation's spots; they don't have it when they're born and it fills in later. I assume it's a camouflage thing. Tiny, bright orange spiders running around would be pretty easy to spot and gobble.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, that's crazy. This is some real world experience you can't replace though. This happened to someone else I know and she was finding those little suckers for months! What a great story you'll have to tell now.

If you want me to take some of those slings off your hands i'd be glad to do so. Since i'm right up the road I could meet you halfway or something.

Micheldied, OBT slings are funny like that. Their orange is kind of like a dalmation's spots; they don't have it when they're born and it fills in later. I assume it's a camouflage thing. Tiny, bright orange spiders running around would be pretty easy to spot and gobble.
yea,i know they dont have it til older.
i meant the first two pics looked different from the rest.

nakazanie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is a great thread. Good luck!

Do you have a cat? A cat would find 'em for ya, no prob.

I have three cats, so it gives me a little piece of mind if I ever face an escape (or 100 escapes!).

Nak

nicholo85

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you had to choose, OBT infestation or roach infestation. Id choose T infestation any day.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is a great thread. Good luck!

Do you have a cat? A cat would find 'em for ya, no prob.

I have three cats, so it gives me a little piece of mind if I ever face an escape (or 100 escapes!).

Nak
Yeah, and if the right spider gets out, you'll wind up with a dead cat.