Found a little pede today, what is it? pics

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Found this little centipede today while hiking around central tx. Too bad it's not a little bigger. Anyone know what kind it is?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Galapoheros said:
Found this little centipede today while hiking around central tx. Too bad it's not a little bigger. Anyone know what kind it is?
DUDE!
i have one of those i think!

it was a gift from Graham at STrange Cargo... he's a TX dude like you!

i take it as my holy quest... i SHALL IDENTIFY THIS CENTIPEDE!!

the rings are pretty!
yeah, mine is slightly longer i think, and more faded... hot dang, now i'm excited! i'm thinking mine is about a cool 3"BL maye less

.... i *think* mine might be more chunky than yours, but mines been with me for a while and it's so much bigger i'm having a hard time comparing them

dude, did you let out a gleeful giggle when you saw that puppy?

first things first... lets bust out [thread=51732]Mr. TX scolo sheet[/thread]
oh yeah... lots(!) of centipedes in TX

let's count legs first of all

here is where you see how bad i am at this.
i think i see 19 walking leg pairs, +1 pair terminators, +1 pair envenomating legs.
i need to go find my stuff and see which ones to count

ok, i started looking at range data. regardless of ANYTHING but range, and assuming they are in TX, TN, KY...
Hemiscolopendra marginata Dist. by R. Shelley Google Image seach note, the pics that finds are really misleading. coloration changes between baby -> juv -> adult somtimes... and look at subspinipes, every color under the sun...

... but marginata is refered to as blue all the time in common names :)

i am almost postive i see a cluster of simple eyes on each side of the head... so not scolopocryptops for sure, and i believe crytops are blind as well...
Scolopocryptops sexspinosus DMbRS GIS
pretty sure these things are almost always red... not positive. they are eyeless though... should be easy to see that :)

Cryptops leucopodus DMbRS GIS hmm, leuco-podus might mean white-leg, but i don't know. dead & dried (from pics) these are whitish

*sigh*
my "brain" is literally spread across the internet, 15 books, and a hundred forty three print outs scattered all over my room

Last edited:

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
welllllll....

man andrew i aint good at lookin at all the segments,antenna,stuff like that,but i would almost say it looks similar to what I have,although my adults aint that transuculent....just a thought...

ArachnoCrazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have one that looks like that to and i found it in Tennessee, like you i could never id it.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ArachnoCrazy said:
i have one that looks like that to and i found it in Tennessee, like you i could never id it.
oh it's fully on!

it's getting done!

at least, i hope so...

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
oh it's fully on!

it's getting done!

at least, i hope so...
So what do you think? My adults are noticably bluer, @!#$%^ my broke camera! Could it be a green variant?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
oh it's fully on!

it's getting done!

at least, i hope so...
GO MAN! GO! yeehaww. hahaha. I've also found something similar in E. tx but I don't think this is the same kind. I'm going to E tx tomorrow and hoping on finding one. I'm not taking pics against plastic anymore. Washed out the colors.

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
finman31 said:
man andrew i aint good at lookin at all the segments,antenna,stuff like that,but i would almost say it looks similar to what I have,although my adults aint that transuculent....just a thought...
the babies can look dif... and it's totally common for species to have strange local color morphs. in fact, i'd say most of the time, the bigger the range the more colormorphs possible

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
finman31 said:
So what do you think? My adults are noticably bluer, @!#$%^ my broke camera! Could it be a green variant?
colors are highly variable in centipedes, for sure

like, i'd say the #1 rule is not to go by coloration when IDing.

also, humidty and moisture and maybe diet seem to affect centipede coloration.

unfortunately there is way way more we don't know about them in the hobby than we do

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dang! I didn't want to say this but I found two about 15 feet apart from each other. One didn't make it. I know, sucks. It fit through one little hole in the container and got out in my backpack. It's a real young one but I'll take some pics since it might help. It's back legs are much blue,er. I'll go do it now.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Galapoheros said:
Dang! I didn't want to say this but I found two about 15 feet apart from each other. One didn't make it. I know, sucks. It fit through one little hole in the container and got out in my backpack. It's a real young one but I'll take some pics since it might help. It's back legs are much blue,er. I'll go do it now.
woops

but that's a pretty good sign, if their density is that high.

hey, know what might be kind of fun? i've been seeing anumber of ppl resin casting their dead bugs and molts. and from stuff i've seen before, it looks liike centipedes really keep a lot of color when cast... they are well known for LOSING color in alcohol and other fluid preservants. and it's not like many of us are really going to turn jars of centipedes over to some natural history museum at any point =P (although there *are* some pros and SERIOUS amateurs here... )

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man I just couldn't get that camera to focus in real close:mad: but here they are. It's only about an inch long.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Galapoheros said:
Man I just couldn't get that camera to focus in real close:mad: but here they are. It's only about an inch long.
AZURE!

purest blue!

jeez, that is a sick blue... that's nice
i would not mind a few of those in *my* collection

ha

haha

muwahahaahahaahahaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

on the off chance they are not marginata, and are undescribed, we should call them azureanus heh

edit:
to take pictures of dead stuff i use a triple lens magnifier
if your camera has a macro mode, it should work

my gf puts the camera's like, lens right up next to the magnifying glass, and then aims by looking in the LCD window. it's pretty crazy. you can also get a decent magnifynig by using a regular magnifying glass. i know it sounds like, too stupid to work, but it's pretty cool

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Galapoheros said:
Haaahaha, azureanus. That would work. Mines OK, azures?:embarrassed:
are you being... punny?

i've heard that's a hanging crime in some parts =P

Last edited:

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats the color!

That is how blue mine are, I have someone coming to take pics tonite I hope,if so,andrew,I am taking pics of YOURS! Wish me luck!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
finman31 said:
That is how blue mine are, I have someone coming to take pics tonite I hope,if so,andrew,I am taking pics of YOURS! Wish me luck!
nice

i wish you all luck!

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
best i can do right now

my buddy was on his way to work,and his camera aint that good,i wish the colr showed a bit better,I will get better ones this weekend,andrew this one is coming to you,this is a sub adult,not one of my breeders..I will dig out some and my buddy will take better pics of both colors this weekend!

Last edited:

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
These are found in

jefferson county kentucky,but they are limited on areas.I took a pic of juvies but they were too fast and I didnt want to get nailed again! They are actually crimson red...

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
23 leg pairs!

scolopocryptops!

freakin sweet!!!

i don't have any of those yet.... check 'em out! no freakin eyes!!!

ha, sorry, it's 2 in the morning for me.

awesome though, i'm excited about new things