Found a beetle at work, need ID and info

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
This morning, at work, something fell off my cubical wall and scared me to death. I looked to the floor and saw a rather large beetle. I've scooped it into a cup, and gave it a wet paper towel. I think I'm going to take it home to observe it a bit more.

My questions are: What kind of beetle is this? I've never seen one like this in Florida. Second, what does it eat? I'd like to try and care for it long term, if I can. It's really neat looking.

Thanks, everyone! :)

Last edited:

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that is Odonotaenius disjunctus. Also known as the patent leather beetle or the hissing bess beetle (man I hate common names). They live communaly in rotten wood with their larvae. They are very easy to keep and breed in captivity on rotten wood.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Scolopendra55 said:
that is Odonotaenius disjunctus. Also known as the patent leather beetle or the hissing bess beetle (man I hate common names). They live communaly in rotten wood with their larvae. They are very easy to keep and breed in captivity on rotten wood.
Wow! Pretty neat. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Do they eat the wood, or do I need to get another food source?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
TheEternal said:
Wow! Pretty neat. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Do they eat the wood, or do I need to get another food source?

They eat wood only, but it must be rotten, moist and soft enough to crush in your hands. If you find the right wood, you,ll probably find more beetles :)

Wade

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found similar beetles in the backroom at work all throughout summer, but with longer jaws and more shovel-like forelegs. I think mine were predators.