"Forest scorpion" what do I have?

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
I bought this scorpion at petstore today. They simply listed it as a forest scorpion but I was wondering if anyone could offer any more info as far as what species. Also looks to be a male to me. He's quite a lively scorpion. I'm new to scorpions, I have an h. spinifer scorpling about an inch long.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definitely a male, not positive on the which heterometrus sp. I would guess h. Laoticus

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think it's H. petersii, ..granulation on carapace. They look a lot like laoticus but laoticus has no granulation on carapace, that was the last I read anyway. I have some of these also, kind of spunky. They can get along but if it's a little crowded and they freak out a little, things can go wrong.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good eye I didn't catch that, but just to make things more confusing it might possibly be h. Cyaneus

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess so, a lot it could be. cyaneus look like they have longer chela pebbled looking granulation on the chela going by pics I looked at though. Never know what's labeled incorrectly on the internet also. The most mislabeled imo is H. spinifer, I seen so many diff sps. labeled spinifer that it makes a person not even care anymore haha.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess so, a lot it could be. cyaneus look like they have longer chela pebbled looking granulation on the chela going by pics I looked at though. Never know what's labeled incorrectly on the internet also. The most mislabeled imo is H. spinifer, I seen so many diff sps. labeled spinifer that it makes a person not even care anymore haha.
I 100% agree, it seems that almost every heterometrus sp. has been labeled as H. Spinifer. It seems that there are several sellers that are either not knowledgable or too lazy to properly id these scorps and generally just label them Heterometus sp. or (my favorite) Forest scorpion, which could be anything but usually is a Heterometrus or Pandius sp. Unfortunately to me whenever I see anything labeled "forest scorpion" it means they are selling a large black scorpion that they have no clue where it came from or how to id it, so good luck on trying to breed it unless you order a mating pair.

Sorry to go off topic on this, I understand you were just trying to figure out wht sp. You owned, so I do aplogise.