Forest Scorpion ID

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
I somewhat recently started working in a pet shop and every so often we get Asian forest scorpions in, but no one at the shop seems to know it’s exact species. Would you guys happen to know what kind this is? They all seem to be the same species. I’d like to know as much as I can about them.

They’re not very big, so I’m sure it’s not a H. Swammerdami, claws don’t have much granules, telson most of the time is black (a few individuals have it a little reddish/brown) some are very defensive whereas some are very calm and don’t mind handling.

Also, are these communal? My job mixes these guys in together. They never seem to fight, but I don’t know if it’s recommended either.

Attachments

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes. This is a communal species... House them in large cages with a lot of hide...
That's a Heterometrus for sure... Maybe @Collin Clary can help you with this...

Terrena Laxamentum

Arachnoknight
That is H. petersii, and they aren't quite known for being communal. It can happen, yes, but it's more likely that they'll kill each other until a certain amount remains.

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
That is H. petersii, and they aren't quite known for being communal. It can happen, yes, but it's more likely that they'll kill each other until a certain amount remains.
Thank you, I didn’t even know that species existed. I was thinking it was probably a Laoticus but I couldn’t tell too well.

Will these guys get much bigger? Care wise they’re just about the same as any other heterometrus, right?

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
Would one of these do just fine in a exo terra faunarium? (18 x 11.6 x 5.9) I’m thinking of getting one so I can have some experience with them.

Is there any difference between the male and female? Do they both get the same size? Are they both equally defensive? I know to sex them you’d have to see their “comb teeth”

I was thinking about either getting one of these or a P. Dictator (or imperator if I somehow ever find one), I don’t know which would be easier. I’d like the dictator since it gets bigger and looks pretty similar to the emperor.

Last edited:

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Would one of these do just fine in a exo terra faunarium? (18 x 11.6 x 5.9) I’m thinking of getting one so I can have some experience with them.
Floor space is fine, but I'd recommend an enclosure that allows for deeper substrate.

Is there any difference between the male and female? Do they both get the same size? Are they both equally defensive? I know to sex them you’d have to see their “comb teeth”
Females generally get a little larger, but aside from that there's not really much difference.

I was thinking about either getting one of these or a P. Dictator (or imperator if I somehow ever find one), I don’t know which would be easier. I’d like the dictator since it gets bigger and looks pretty similar to the emperor.
You're actually far more likely to find Pandinus imperator than P. dictator. Additionally, P. dictator do not get larger than P. imperator, indeed they're usually slightly smaller, and are less robust at length parity.

Terrena Laxamentum

Arachnoknight

That enclosure should work fine. Males and females are similar size, males tend to have more prominent claws. You are more likely to find P. imperator than true P. dictator.

Edit: whoops, didn't see that someone responded already.

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
Well if that’s the case with P. Dictators, I’d much rather get an imperator. It’s just that I wanted to get it through my job but my boss says their illegal to import in there and he can’t get any in, so I figured a P. Dictator was the next best thing.

Any certain sites that would have an emperor? I was thinking of getting one on backwaterreptiles but I don’t know if there’s a cheaper or more trusted site.