1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

foraging for scorpion food...

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by many many legs, Jun 5, 2019.

1. many many legs

many many legs Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    I just found a little 2 inch baja bark scorpion and gave it a hiding place, shallow water dish. I'm quite far from a pet shop, so no pinheads available to me. I caught a fly, plucked its wings off and dropped it in the enclosure, but the lil scorp just ran away whenever the fly got close (the fly was surprisingly active for hours). So what should I feed it? There are moths everywhere, might that work and how often?

Thanks!

2. ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew Arachnoprince Active Member

Just keep offering random tiny feeders once or twice a week eventually itl eat

3. darkness975

darkness975 dream reaper Arachnosupporter

You're better off not using wild caught prey items.

If you get enough of a starter amount you can create your own cricket/meal worm/roach/etc. breeding population.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Arachnosquire Active Member

I second this! You never know if wild caught prey items have been exposed to pesticides or if they've got parasites that may transfer over from themselves.

5. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnobaron Active Member

UK
    Just do mail order until you have your own colony established.

6. many many legs

I offered it a moth at around 11pm last night. Was very pleased to see it munching away at it around 2am as I worked at my computer. I also collected 8 darkling beetles, so i plan on getting some meal worms started soon too. ty for the tips

7. ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew Arachnoprince Active Member

Generally as others have stated it's best to avoid wild feeders but since it's a wild caught specimen. Doesnt make a whoooooole lot of difference.

If it was a CB specimen of say avoid wild feeders always

8. Garetyl

Garetyl Arachnoknight Active Member

My new H. spinifer baby seems to enjoy waxworm moths, particularly mating pairs in the middle of... :muted: You know.

Found out on pure accident when I was putting a waxworm she hadn't eaten back. They flopped in and she snapped them up. Not that I mind, I have too many moths, but it was a little strange.

9. many many legs

just wanna say that my scorpion (now named kate) is doing great after eating a few moths. I'm back home from baja trip and feeding her pinheads. She's been walking around all day/night and barely hides anymore. Thanks again for the tips, I love my new little friend :shame: