For roaches and desert beetles, which is better - heat rock or Pad?

BuckRambo

Arachnopeon
I have a very curious cat, and do not want a heat lamp on my tank. Should I use a heat rock or heat mat. I have used heat rocks before, and no problem, and I used a heat mat too. I feel the heat rock is better. But this is my own thought, and would love to hear from experts.
What brand and size would you recommend for a 20 gallon long, and then a 10 gallon also?

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I have a very curious cat, and do not want a heat lamp on my tank. Should I use a heat rock or heat mat. I have used heat rocks before, and no problem, and I used a heat mat too. I feel the heat rock is better. But this is my own thought, and would love to hear from experts.
What brand and size would you recommend for a 20 gallon long, and then a 10 gallon also?
I don't use any heat source for my desert beetles or roaches and they do just fine. My place gets down to 68 or so winter nights and can get up to 80 in the summer but temps are usually 70-75. I've had my tank of mixed species desert beetles for 2 years and they are going strong.

I don't use heat for my feeder roaches either, they breed slower but they do breed. My pet roaches (Dominos) do fine at room temperature also.

Last edited:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you keeping your desert beetles and roaches in an unusually cold climate? I just keep mine at room temperature with no supplemental heat source and they do just fine.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
If you want the roaches to breed (depending on the species), I would suggest using a heat pad placed against the side of the terrarium, as hot rocks have been known to burn animals and provide excessive heat.
Agree with the above for the beetles though.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
If you want the roaches to breed (depending on the species), I would suggest using a heat pad placed against the side of the terrarium, as hot rocks have been known to burn animals and provide excessive heat.
Agree with the above for the beetles though.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Putting the pad on the side of feeder roach bins as said here is important too as if put underneath they can overheat and warp the plastic or worse. Also agree heat rocks are bad.

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
Heat rocks are for certain reptiles but are dangerous for inverts, who have small parts. Most roaches prefer the dark, so a heat pad is best if the species needs heat.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Obviously it depends on where you live and what your normal ambient temperature is, and if you want your roaches / beetles to breed steadily. High 70s low 80s will be fine temperature wise, the hotter they are the more they will breed. Heat may on the side of the tank, iv'e never liked or trusted heat rocks, consequently never used them.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Heat rocks have been known to burn even reptiles, and although some people have had success with them (otherwise they wouldn't even be on the market), it is not worth the risk when you can get a heat pad that is much safer, not to mention cheaper.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Heat rocks have been known to burn even reptiles, and although some people have had success with them (otherwise they wouldn't even be on the market), it is not worth the risk when you can get a heat pad that is much safer, not to mention cheaper.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
There are many things on the market that should never be there heat rocks are just one of them. Many creatures, inverts included, just don't have the sense to move away when .too hot.

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
I did use a heat rock when I kept my albino rat snake. This was before heat pads were a thing, and the only other heat sources for terrariums were bright lights or UV lamps, neither of which are good for albinos. I did use limited light for vitamin synthesis, but the heat rock at that time was the best thing available to keep albinos warm. I never had an issue with the rock for her. She did eventually get cancer, which may or may not have been from the lights.