For Guys, question about girls and your hobby

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I was checking out the reptiles and inverts at Petland the other day. I saw a mother and her young daughter wander into the back of the store where I was. The mother saw the terrariums and said "Oh, I don't like this area." She then headed back to the puppy area with her daughter in tow. Young girls are programmed early in life to avoid anything that's not cute and cuddly.
Others have said it, and I second/third/affirm it. Parents influence as much as anything else. I was that tomboy, and brought home frogs and lizards. It wasn't until I lived on my own in college that my mom let it be known to me she not only didn't like snakes, she HATED snakes. (I can't make the font large enough to portray the earth-shattering, oscar winning performance that went on.) She never let it influence me. My daughter is nearly 16, and she loves all animals, including Ts and snakes, just as much as I do. It may not find her a boyfriend anytime soon (fine by me !) but it may help her get a job. My late husband didn't mind them as long as they were caged, but he had zero interest in them. He never discouraged our daughter from any goal she wanted, either.

Marga

Transient

Arachnosquire
When I was little I found a dead lizard and my mom let me drag it around on a leash. Yep.

venom81

Arachnopeon
my wife loves my ts now but at first she was afraid of them,there goes to show that sometimes people are afraid of what they dont understand the funny part was she did not know about my ts until she moved in, you should of seen her face...Priceless!...but anyways,if the hobby keeps increasing in popularity maybe who knows,someday in Beverly Hills will find girls with tatantulas in there purses instead of chihuahuas...i mean some people have the impression that tarantula keepers are strange creepy wirdos... well at least here, but i bet if shakira made a music video with holding a Pokie people would be like awesome.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
......My daughter is nearly 16, and she loves all animals, including Ts and snakes, just as much as I do. It may not find her a boyfriend anytime soon........
No guy worth his salt would be turned away by that.

ecota

Arachnopeon
As a girl who only digs girls, I was surprised and amused to see so many butch dykes freak out over a tarantula. My current girlfriend tolerates them, but she keeps saying no more. She better soon realize that I would rather have 500 tarantulas than a girlfriend, lol!

I was checking out the reptiles and inverts at Petland the other day. I saw a mother and her young daughter wander into the back of the store where I was. The mother saw the terrariums and said "Oh, I don't like this area." She then headed back to the puppy area with her daughter in tow. Young girls are programmed early in life to avoid anything that's not cute and cuddly.
When my mother took us to the petstore to get fish food, she would always take us to check out the "creepy" section. She explained to us that all animals are important and beautiful, whether they are a purebred dog or a scorpion. So whenever I run into someone who is afraid of a snake, spider, bat or some other "creepy" animal, I have to ask them WTH their problem is. I just don't understand why people are afraid of such amazing creatures. I guess it varies for every family, and I am just so thankful my mom wasn't a total wuss! :]

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
I've been into reptiles and inverts long before i ever started dating, some girls likes them, others refused to go near them. My current partner wasnt too fond of them when we met but now she loves them. She now has her own snakes, lizards and t's aswell as helping me take care of my collection which includes snails, spiders (T's, trapdoors, funnelwebs) scorpions, centipedes, stick insects, king crickets and roaches

ScarecrowGirl

Arachnosquire
My guy is indiffmerent to all my critters, he thinks they are cool, but he doesn't adore them like I do, I'm sure I could get him hooked it I can get him a few of the more unearthly looking ones though.

My guy friends/all of my other friends though have lost the will to come in to our part of the house, one of them was looking at my little versicolor while sitting next to my centipedes tank, he almost wet himself he saw it hanging down from the screen of the lid, that was great lol

I ask them ' what are you going to do when I have twice as many of these guys?' and they all look around uncomfortably, ha chickens!

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
LOL at MattinNYC! I think you are looking for "Invertsonals".

Seriously, I am 50+ female, my hubbie of 25yrs had a premonition 30+ years ago, while we dating, that some day he would be living in a house stacked with cages full of all kinds of creatures -- had he seen the T's in his future at that time.....

He luvs me and tolerates the T's, as well as everything else. And no, I don't have tats but I do have three piercings -- all in my ears.:) The third one is for my child. Had I more children, then I guess I would have more holes.:tongue:

LucasNorth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yah, I've been with my current girlfriend for 3 years and tarantulas came about 1 year into it. She was fine with them (although she often made fun of me) but overall she thinks pinktoes walking is the best thing in the world. Unfortunately tarantulas are usually a deal breaker if you are searching for a date through conventional ways. Unless you are really something special to someone right off the bat, its unlikely they will be willing to try and understand your hobby. Its for the better anyways, in my experience tarantulas have way bigger butts and way more limbs than humans.

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
For all you gals out there, there are guys out there that will love big butts and the girls that love them. Case in point: my son who will marry the women of his life this June. I know she found a special place in my heart when she said they needed an apt that allowed pets. What kind of pets? Yes, she said a tarantula. He not only dotes on her, he dotes on the T as well. Of course my son did grow up in a house full of critters.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For all you gals out there, there are guys out there that will love big butts and the girls that love them. Case in point: my son who will marry the women of his life this June. I know she found a special place in my heart when she said they needed an apt that allowed pets. What kind of pets? Yes, she said a tarantula. He not only dotes on her, he dotes on the T as well. Of course my son did grow up in a house full of critters.
That's got to be the most adorable thing I've ever read :3

arachnofreek

Arachnopeon
Im single right now just getting into the T life. I hope this doesnt get me even deeper into the single life lol. Hopefully there is some girl out there looking for a geeky gamer with a big reptile, arachnid, fish addiction. Somewhere and if she is out there lets hope she is fine with all the animals. :laugh:

Anyone out there that found their love one because of some type of animal? :love:

-freek

RockinOutAmber

Arachnosquire
Are you kidding me? My boyfriend still screams like a girl when he walks in my room and sees my tarantulas. He doesn't have a choice... I'm keeping them.

Its420Somewhere

Arachnopeon
My girlfriend doesnt mind at all. In fact shes bought me an avicularia avicularia and Haplopelma lividum for t's, and a Leiurus quinquestriatus scorp. We also go scorpion "hunting". Weve even had some rattle snakes. Safe to say, my hobby is no issue here. We have quite the collection now

oldmangoon

Arachnopeon
This has gotten way out of hand, but...

In my experience, my male friends are much more freaked out by my spiders than female friends. I don't get it...guys that aren't otherwise afraid of much. I don't have it figured out. My girlfriend and I have about 40 spiders now (mostly tarantulas). I think it makes a big difference if someone can handle one and understand that they're not (necessarily) creatures that are going to eat you while you sleep.