For Guys, question about girls and your hobby

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try being a gay man with tarantulas... I had people spreading rumours that I needed to place my tarantulas on people during sex in order to get off. I endured several years of wondering why people were throwing bestiality insults my way until someone flat out asked me if the rumour he heard was true.

The phobias may be the same in my dating pool, but the superficiality is 10 times worse.
lmao hilarious. To the op um... I don't want to jinks myself but I haven't had chicks care.. Some actually encourage me .

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I certainly got the ball rolling in this thread lol, who knew

WickedInverts

Arachnopeon
My wife had a phobia of anything people call a bug or spider. However, I bought my first T a few months ago and she fell in love with it and we have since grown our collection to 30. We also have a Dubia colony, but she's still not to fond of that.

---------- Post added 12-17-2011 at 06:16 AM ----------

I certainly got the ball rolling in this thread lol, who knew
Yeah great topic TGod.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
[/COLOR][HR][/HR]Why do u have snakes in the freezer??:eek:
Good catch! That should have been snakes, or rodents in the freezer . . . Missed the important comma while tying on my phone.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just wondering have any of you been lucky enough to find a girl who doesn't mind the fact that you share your house with enormous spiders. ...
Just keep looking. Reptile shows are good places to cruise for chicks. Arachnid/tarantula conferences and shows are the best places to look. Be very up front about your love of arachnids.

Only the very best girls will be willing to accept YOU along with YOUR SPIDERS! {D

(Click the thumbnails for larger versions.)

TARAS show. Marguerite is wearing a green sweater with her back to the camera. (Uploaded with ImageShack.us)

TARAS show. Marguerite is sitting behind the little boy. (Uploaded with ImageShack.us)

(Uploaded with ImageShack.us)

Do you see that smile? (Uploaded with ImageShack.us)

Good things never come easily. Best of luck!

Last edited:

BimBim

Arachnopeon
My girlfriend actually got me in to the hobby. We both were always really interested in all animals, then one day went went to a bug zoo and when we cam across to the spider section a man who worked there ask if anyone would like to hold a B. smithi they have. My girlfriend and i held it and shorted after decided to buy one our selves, and one B.smithi turned in to 7 T's with in 3 months. :D there are plenty of girls out there who love t's and even my girlfriend's close friends now own multiple t's after showing her ours.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I brought home an Emperor scorpion and my fiance wasn't completely freaked out. She refused to handle it but told me she would eventually. She kept asking me not to get a tarantula. I told her I probably wouldn't and not to worry about it. My scorpion died during his first molt under my care :(. I went to go buy an adult so I didn't have to worry about another bad molt from a scorpion. Then, from across the room, I saw my new best friend, Aragog, my Chilean rose. I brought it home expecting the worse from my fiance, but to my wonderful surprise she was intrigued and curious. She even handled it the first night!! So basically women are crazy and unpredictable and that's why I love them. Don't expect things to be so clear cut. If you can find a girl who's not afraid to come in, but is still kind of scared of T's, (without forcing it or shoving it in her face) introduce her to a very docile species and even handle it if she allows you to take it out of the cage. There's a chance she might even want to handle it too. At least be interested enough to come back. Goodluck!

---------- Post added 12-17-2011 at 12:16 PM ----------

I brought home an Emperor scorpion and my fiance wasn't completely freaked out. She refused to handle it but told me she would eventually. She kept asking me not to get a tarantula. I told her I probably wouldn't and not to worry about it. My scorpion died during his first molt under my care :(. I went to go buy an adult so I didn't have to worry about another bad molt from a scorpion. Then, from across the room, I saw my new best friend, Aragog, my Chilean rose. I brought it home expecting the worse from my fiance, but to my wonderful surprise she was intrigued and curious. She even handled it the first night!! So basically women are crazy and unpredictable and that's why I love them. Don't expect things to be so clear cut. If you can find a girl who's not afraid to come in, but is still kind of scared of T's, (without forcing it or shoving it in her face) introduce her to a very docile species and even handle it if she allows you to take it out of the cage. There's a chance she might even want to handle it too. At least be interested enough to come back. Goodluck!
This being said, all women are not the same and many women enjoy these critters. In fact the women on this website are definitely not the minority. The only people I know who actually own tarantulas are both women.

Mathayus

Arachnosquire
It's hard enough to find a decent, good girl that isn't somehow my cousin, being a highschooler in a town of 700. The fact I like big hairy spiders just throws a monkey wrench into the mix lol

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I think if you're up front about your hobby when you meet someone new, who isn't into them, that's all you can do.

If someone is really worth it, they will accept you for you, "weird" pets and all. If they can't accept you as a whole, they aren't worth it anyway. That's just my opinion, it's not about changing anyone, or getting them to get rid of their pets because you don't like them, it's about loving them for exactly who they are.

I know if I met someone who wanted me to get rid of any of my animals, it would be over. Not because my spiders neccessarily mean more to me then a relationship, but because it meant he didn't accept me for who I am, and I have no use for that.

You may never meet someone who shares your passion for them the way you do, but as long as they are tolerant and accepting...anything else is just a bonus.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
You may never meet someone who shares your passion for them the way you do, but as long as they are tolerant and accepting...anything else is just a bonus.
Exactly. My fiance isn't a big fan and she's a big sport for listening to me ramble on about everything I learned about them or which ones I want in the future. She's just happy that I feel passionate about something.

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Could be taken the wrong way, would sound like we really REALLY love T's lol

---------- Post added 12-17-2011 at 08:48 PM ----------

Just saw your pic, sum1 loves assassins creed, I was literaly just playing that lol

---------- Post added 12-17-2011 at 08:49 PM ----------

Just saw your pic, sum1 loves assassins creed, I was literaly just playing that lol

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I was checking out the reptiles and inverts at Petland the other day. I saw a mother and her young daughter wander into the back of the store where I was. The mother saw the terrariums and said "Oh, I don't like this area." She then headed back to the puppy area with her daughter in tow. Young girls are programmed early in life to avoid anything that's not cute and cuddly.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Young girls are programmed early in life to avoid anything that's not cute and cuddly.
Many are, but not all. I used to catch all kinds of creepy crawly stuff with my dad when I was little. When I was 3, I had a pet snail, I named him and everything lol. I remember my mom finally made me let him go and I cried for days. That was NOT the only "pet" I had as a kid that others would consider weird for a little girl. :)

If my daughter is afraid of bugs, snakes, lizards etc, it certainly won't be due to any fault of mine. Both my kids are interested in my collection, and they won't be told they're bad or scary or gross or any of that in my house!

8leggedloverlassie

Arachnosquire
No ma'am, I was speaking to you :).

-Sean
:bored:Oh..my bad:sarcasm::angelic:

---------- Post added 12-18-2011 at 09:24 AM ----------

Good catch! That should have been snakes, or rodents in the freezer . . . Missed the important comma while tying on my phone.
Haha:sarcasm: PHEW! I was thinkn "THE POOR SNAKES!!" :laugh: well now I'm relieved. :sarcasm::biggrin:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Young girls are programmed early in life to avoid anything that's not cute and cuddly.
No its not the girls who are programmed, its the influence occuring from the people around them. This can happen to guys as well, so dont stereotype chicks. lol
My mother was terrified of spiders, and I always brought them in the house as pets. I would put them up on the corner of my wall, watch them make orb webs, etc and then my mom would come and vacuum them up sadly. lol
and then I started catching the snakes on the lawn when I was around 4 - oh boy lol she wasn't very happy haha!

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Both my kids are interested in my collection, and they won't be told they're bad or scary or gross or any of that in my house!
Good for you.

.....dont stereotype chicks. lol
It was not my intent to stereotype anyone. My point is that kids are not always given the opportunity to decide for themselves. Sometimes their likes and dislikes have been conditioned by their parents and/or society.