For Guys, question about girls and your hobby

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
My wife loves our T's she has nothing but T's on her Christmas list damn I love that girl

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
I had people spreading rumours that I needed to place my tarantulas on people during sex in order to get off.

That's just terrible. While I'm not gay myself some of my friends give me a hard time by saying virtually the same thing, and it's always my friends who are women that say this. So I feel your pain bro.

Delight

Arachnopeon
Try being a gay man with tarantulas... I had people spreading rumours that I needed to place my tarantulas on people during sex in order to get off. I endured several years of wondering why people were throwing bestiality insults my way until someone flat out asked me if the rumour he heard was true.

The phobias may be the same in my dating pool, but the superficiality is 10 times worse.
That's awful. I hadn't actually thought about that until now. It makes sense that it would be worse, though, especially in a culture that can be pretty judgmental sometimes. My only suggestion is to try to find a cute gay science geek. They're often reasonably tolerant of critters and would probably be exited to come across anyone who could use scientific nomenclature.

Mekster

Arachnopeon
when i started collecting T's, i have to get the approval of my GF since we are living together eventhough she's afraid. I also started to collect slings to so her 1st impression of T's are not that scary

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
I'm not a guy but my wife doesn't mind the T's, as long as they don't start taking over the office. I think she likes them better than the geckos I had. She actually LOVES lizards, but didn't love the tub of roaches I kept in the living room to feed them. The two T's I have can do fine on a small tub of mealworms. She also doesn't mind the snakes or dead rodents that take up 1/4 of the freezer. She wouldn't choose any of those pets, but she doesn't mind them and doesn't mind if I want to keep them. She really only minds if I'm too cluttery with them being in the living space. I think that's fair, and she has put up plenty with them being an eyesore in the living space anyway. We compromise on that. But, she knew she was marrying a field primatologist, so I'm sure she didn't expect any different on the critter front. She even goes herping with me and is great at spotting lizards and likes to look at rattlesnakes and such, she just gets a little bored when I photograph one for 10 minutes. She doesn't share my hobby, but in our case, that doesn't really matter, because we share work instead (she is also a biological anthropologist). I can see though, that if you didn't share a career, you'd want to share your hobbies with your SO.

Abraxas, +1 on the bio geek angle.

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
My girlfriend tolerates them but she always says "please don't buy more spiders, but things for me instead." :)

Kungfujoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My girl friend doesnt mind as long as i spend as much time with her as I do with my T's.

littleredrider

Arachnopeon
I'm another chick who owns tarantulas, and I actually got my boyfriend into them after we hooked up :) It was very difficult finding a man who is actually interested in spiders - lots of guys say they aren't scared of them, but they have no desire to look at or hold them! Such liars! But I'm glad I finally found one who is as in love with them as I am.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I'm a chick too:biggrin:,and truthfully,I think it harder for a chick who has spiders to get a guy!,that's just my view cos the way I see it, guys will mostly be guys and its not really unusual if they have spiders or scorpions etc,but there is sorta a different expectation for girls. Now I don't want to show off,but I'm a tall,slim,and apparently attractive 21 year old and teen boys and older boys say I'm hot:biggrin:,but when they hear my hobby is tarantulas it kinda freaks them out!:eek::o_O: Some of them ask me with interest how I feed them and I truthfully tell them I pop a cricket in live or crush the head and offer it to them and one of them said I need help!!:sarcasm: I'm a bit into makeup and shoes and clothes:cute:but WAY more into plants and animals and critters.:geek: and that's the way it's gonna be!:mask: I know I will be an amazing and fun and loyal GF one day:angelic: but if there is no interest or at least RESPECT of my hobby,then it won't work out:cry:,I LOVE my t's:love::love:,they are my babies,and even if theyr still around when I have a real baby:bored:,they will still be my
babies. <3 <3:love:
Holy cow... are you related to a Phil_Jones in Europe?

Also, nice btw.. I'll probably be visiting your country on my next deployment. We go there sometimes when we deploy to Guam.

You'd all be surprised how many relationships (however sour) and even marriages have risen from these boards.

-Sean

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I am single... my ex hated them though. Now it's just me, the T's and my boy "Blue"! (Russian Blue)

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just wondering have any of you been lucky enough to find a girl who doesn't mind the fact that you share your house with enormous spiders. In my experience most girls don't even want to enter my mine cause of one pet. It generally annoyes me, "there in a friggin tank, they have NEVER escaped, it's not like I let them roam free lol. Anyway if I found a girl that would actually go as far as buying me a T or even hold one, I think I would marry her on the spot lol.
It isn't that hard to find a girl to love you enough to love your pets too. Also it is your responsibility to educate her to develop at least a neutral attitude towards these arachnids.

My wife feared spiders before she knew me, and at my influence she is a spider lover now. This is partially because she is a clinical psychologist and she understood better than most people how one's fear on something could be totally unnecessary and irrational.

Good luck on your guest to find a girl that loves you and your pets. In fact there are lots of female users here...

ElevenBravo

Arachnopeon
haha :sarcasm:It's in nsw Australia,not close at all! :clown:

---------- Post added 12-16-2011 at 09:22 AM ----------

well I hope I bump into that sorta guy soon!!!:sarcasm:

---------- Post added 12-16-2011 at 09:26 AM ----------

You have 9 tarantulas?? Thats it! Your an underachiever:sarcasm:

---------- Post added 12-16-2011 at 09:27 AM ----------

You have 9 tarantulas?? Thats it!?!?? Your an underachiever:sarcasm:
I love you :D

8leggedloverlassie

Arachnosquire
Holy cow... are you related to a Phil_Jones in Europe?

Also, nice btw.. I'll probably be visiting your country on my next deployment. We go there sometimes when we deploy to Guam.

You'd all be surprised how many relationships (however sour) and even marriages have risen from these boards.

-Sean
I think u replied to th wrong thread:sarcasm: are u replying to th photo? Cos thats not me :0b

---------- Post added 12-17-2011 at 09:33 AM ----------

I love you :D
:cute::biggrin:

---------- Post added 12-17-2011 at 09:38 AM ----------

[HR][/HR]
I'm not a guy but my wife doesn't mind the T's, as long as they don't start taking over the office. I think she likes them better than the geckos I had. She actually LOVES lizards, but didn't love the tub of roaches I kept in the living room to feed them. The two T's I have can do fine on a small tub of mealworms. She also doesn't mind the snakes or dead rodents that take up 1/4 of the freezer. She wouldn't choose any of those pets, but she doesn't mind them and doesn't mind if I want to keep them. She really only minds if I'm too cluttery with them being in the living space. I think that's fair, and she has put up plenty with them being an eyesore in the living space anyway. We compromise on that. But, she knew she was marrying a field primatologist, so I'm sure she didn't expect any different on the critter front. She even goes herping with me and is great at spotting lizards and likes to look at rattlesnakes and such, she just gets a little bored when I photograph one for 10 minutes. She doesn't share my hobby, but in our case, that doesn't really matter, because we share work instead (she is also a biological anthropologist). I can see though, that if you didn't share a career, you'd want to share your hobbies with your SO.

Abraxas, +1 on the bio geek angle.
Why do u have snakes in the freezer??:eek:

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
I'm also a 22 year old chick. I got my boyfriend into the hobby. He's always been an animal lover, but never imagined owning a tarantula until he met me. He was fascinated with them! We've been together 2 1/2 years and are up to around 80 tarantulas now. I'm surprised I found someone to accept that part of me, especially here in Kansas lol. :p

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I'll be honest I'm a bit of an exterme and until recently hopeless case as any girl I bring home has to be used to the idea of bugs and other things in the house. Doesn't help that I've turned an entire freezer into an "bug morgue", I have an insect collection of over 500 insects (its still growing by the way, hence the morgue), I have a fish obsession (I think 3 different tanks in the bedroom is a little extreme), a cat, I'm a bit of a pack rat, and apparently being a goth doesn't help much. Oh and did I mention that I am a nationally ranked shotgun shooter.

So well if you can't tell I thought I was a little screwed in the dating department. But I did finally find someone who well accepts me (hey I was as surprised as anyone). She wasn't to thrilled about handling and owning tarantulas but she did in the end accept them and even bought herself one at the last show we went to. although I am finding myself having to get used to larger snakes and other reptile, which really isnt that big of a deal. Although we do have to put of with some questionable comments from our friends, but hey I think I found a keeper

on a side note I teach and do demonstrations for kids and what not, and have noticed that girls are often much more willing to hold a T, or even a roach then a boy. Always has struck me as odd, considering the stereotype.