Fooling ard with my camera, Leo Gecko.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
not to kee on there care. but doesnt sand cause impaction?...ive always seen people using newspaper or paper towels as substrate for these guys. i always wanted one, but dont link the idea of havingto use paper of any kind as a sub. and nice looking specimen you have there.:drool:

leoman777

Arachnopeon
i would switch the substrate sand causes impaction i use paper towels for all my gecko. You could use paper towel, newspaper, reptile carpet, tile/slate.

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a lil sad to end up without the sand... but it only matter s whats the best for the geck:)

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh please. Natural sand is perfectly fine for a gecko. They naturally eat some substrate in nature and are able to safely digest small amounts. Yes paper towels will eliminate the risk of substrate impaction and yes there is a little risk with natural sand but it isn't necessary to ban all sand substrate from a leo enclosure. Never had a problem with it nor do the breeders I know. However, I do wait until they are 5 inches in length or so before switching them to sand.

Last edited:

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh please. Natural sand is perfectly fine for a gecko. They naturally eat some substrate in nature and are able to safely digest small amounts. Yes paper towels will eliminate the risk of substrate impaction and yes there is a little risk with natural sand but it isn't necessary to ban all sand substrate from a leo enclosure. Never had a problem with it nor do the breeders I know. However, I do wait until they are 5 inches in length or so before switching them to sand.
thanks for the help and info! so unless they are bigger then it will be safe is that what you mean? time to measure my gecko!!! :worship: thanks!

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It won't be completely safe as paper towels but there is a smaller risk of impaction from natural sand.