Focus stacks of two beetles shot at 10X

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dicranocephalus wallichi bourgoini, scarab

Acroncinus longimanus, Harlequin longhorn beetle
Tarsal claw

Antenna joint

What are these setae doing beneath the exoskeleton?

Last edited:

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
beetles molt o.0 since when?
Hehe, Oops! I too was certain that they didn't but upon seeing those setae, just to be sure that I was correct I googled the matter, and all of the first few results I checked said yes. So I quickly assumed I'd been wrong all these years, though I'd never seen such a thing.

I wonder how then to explain the setae?

Last edited:

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hehe, Oops! I too was certain that they didn't but upon seeing those setae, just to be sure that I was correct I googled the matter, and all of the first few results I checked said yes. So I quickly assumed I'd been wrong all these years, though I'd never seen such a thing.

I wonder how then to explain the setae?
I was actually wondering that myself, I wonder if they still are receptive even beneath the exoskeleton? up till now I've never seen sub exo setae

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Beautiful pictures and I didn't know they had setae like that either. Very interesting to see!

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was actually wondering that myself, I wonder if they still are receptive even beneath the exoskeleton? up till now I've never seen sub exo setae
I may have just a few minutes ago been given the answer on another forum, photomacrography.net -- The member stated that body grease can frequently leach out through the exoskeleton and create a covering over the exo such as we're seeing here. The complete lack of texture, as though the beetle had been lacquered, pretty much clinches it I'd say.

I was told to take my 30-yr-old specimens and submerse them in acetone for a few days ... yikes, but I guess it must work, those people know what they're talking about! ;)

Beautiful pictures and I didn't know they had setae like that either. Very interesting to see!
Thank you very much pannaking! :)