Flukers gut load for crickets

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
Can I feed this to the crickets I feed to the Ts & scorps? Pros & cons, please. Kim

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
after 15 or so years of buyin crix,i decided to try this stuff out,and the crickets i get at the LPS dont seem to care for it all that much,if at all....wouldnt buy it again....i`ll stick to fruits&veggies

james.m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Same here, I tried two different types of cricket food from them and neither seemed to have interested the crickets. I ended up just giving it to my roaches which loved it. I would stick to the basics anyhow, its so much cheaper.

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
All of my animals (even my saltwater fish) get a homemade diet but I found this stuff in with some of my reptile supplies & thought I would ask. I think I will use some of it in a dish & then do my fruits & vegis as the main food. What is the best whole food to gut load crickets with that will benefit the Ts the most? Kim

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think fluker's contains added calcium (along with other minerals and vitamins) to provide reptile supplementation. Many keepers believe that these are harmful to T, especially the Ca. Ts grow slowly and thus need very small amounts of these supplements. Provide them with a varied diet without any added supplements and you will do fine. I feed oatmeal or bran as a main food with added small amounts of fish food occasionally.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can I feed this to the crickets I feed to the Ts & scorps? Pros & cons, please. Kim
Gut-loading has been debated (sometimes hotly!) on this and many other forums for years. Do a search (look for the link on the gray banner across the top of the page) for gut loading. Also try various misspellings.

The bottom line seems to be that it does little good with tarantulas. Some have blamed all sorts of maladies on it over the years, but there's no hard evidence to support any of the hypotheses.

My opinion is that it's probably of little use. Why spend the money on it? It's a lot more fun to save up a little and buy another spider! :D

Last edited:

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Eh..... It's another one of those "Snake Oil"-type products. That crap smelled worse than the crickets did!!!!! Just opening the little sample-thing I got wrenched my stomach. The crix ate it only after a couple of days of starving, and who could blame them??? Just toss it out the window, do the homemade food thing, and you'll be better off.

arachna-nono

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Smell??

Eh..... It's another one of those "Snake Oil"-type products. That crap smelled worse than the crickets did!!!!! Just opening the little sample-thing I got wrenched my stomach. The crix ate it only after a couple of days of starving, and who could blame them??? Just toss it out the window, do the homemade food thing, and you'll be better off.

How did the smell get you? It's a dry, mainly grain product, powder. Even if I accidently inhale the stuff I don't smell a thing with it?! Me thinks you got a bad/old sample pack? :confused:

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
How did the smell get you? It's a dry, mainly grain product, powder. Even if I accidently inhale the stuff I don't smell a thing with it?! Me thinks you got a bad/old sample pack? :confused:
Never mind, I was thinking of those green "Cricket Bites." (oops :8o sorry!!!)

Being sensetive to smells anyway, the experience turned me off from any further experementation with commercial gut-load products. It's alot simpler and cheaper to give them a small handful of oats, a bit of lettuce, carrots, and replenish as necessary. You can also put a few pieces of dry cat food in there too. I am starting to feed my cats some pretty high-quality food, so I don't mind giving it to my feeders. These are things that are on my grocerey list anyway, and I always have leftovers.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
can you give crickets any kind of cat food? I've been using mostly romaine lettuce for mine, but its suppose to be for our turtle, who's a pig. So id I could also offer them cat food that would be great, but we feed out cats a perscription diet, science diet venison and green peas (or potatos) or something like that. (one of our cats is allergic to all poultry.)

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
can you give crickets any kind of cat food? I've been using mostly romaine lettuce for mine, but its suppose to be for our turtle, who's a pig. So id I could also offer them cat food that would be great, but we feed out cats a perscription diet, science diet venison and green peas (or potatos) or something like that. (one of our cats is allergic to all poultry.)
Yes, you can feed cat food to your feeders. The grain-loaded cheap crap works well!! Though it does contain gluten, which may or may not be a good thing for inverts. I know it's bad for my cats, LOL.

ScienceDiet isn't the best thing for your cat either. It contains gluten-meal, and grains. Just because it's "perscripton-formula," or backed by vets doesn't mean it's the best thing. This is exactly like the pharmaceutical corporations getting doctor's backing on drugs that have worse side-effects than the symptoms it alleviates. Furthermore, it is a two-star rated pet food made by a large corporation trying to make a buck on hapless pet-owners.

PetCo has this Wellness brand that is really great. I think that one is a 5-star food. I'm still trying out samples of Evo, Orijen, and Canidae, which are high-protien, grain-free, and gluten-free foods. Orijen is a 6-star rated food that is actually made with human-grade food ingrediants, though spendy as all get out!!!! Orijen has also been rated Pet Food of the Year for the last three years running.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks, I might have to try that.

and weird, my mom is a vet tech and she seems to think its the best thing for our cats. And the reason we don't buy that other stuff is because almost all of them contain poultry and like I said, one of our cats is really allergic and gets really sick. (on top of the fact that he has IBS). We've found a food thats not making him throw up anymore, so I'm sure my mom would be a little more than hesitant to try something we don't know how he'll react to.

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks, I might have to try that.

and weird, my mom is a vet tech and she seems to think its the best thing for our cats. And the reason we don't buy that other stuff is because almost all of them contain poultry and like I said, one of our cats is really allergic and gets really sick. (on top of the fact that he has IBS). We've found a food thats not making him throw up anymore, so I'm sure my mom would be a little more than hesitant to try something we don't know how he'll react to.
I know a few medical assistants who also think the latest medications are the best thing too!!!! Too bad half of them cause IBS, frequent urination, heart palpatations, liver failure, nervous ticks, sexual dysfunction, and prostate problems for men in their 30's. And you have to talk to a doctor to see if that may be right for YOU!!!! {D {D {D

"Yeah, doc....I'm tring to lower my cholesterol. No, I don't need my prostate, my sex-life is dull anyways, and no one is gonna notice the nervous ticks....I keep a bunch of tarantulas in my room....everyone already thinks I'm nuts!!!!"

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
after 15 or so years of buyin crix,i decided to try this stuff out,and the crickets i get at the LPS dont seem to care for it all that much,if at all....wouldnt buy it again....i`ll stick to fruits&veggies
When I buy crix, I place them in a keeper with water crystals and either carrots or grapes.
they eat lots, get nice and plump ( hydrated for the T ) and usually pass anything that was in their digestive tract that might be of a problem.
and the sick ones die off in 24 hrs.

So then I feed my T's.

kman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think all this "special" stuff is a bunch of shinanigans. I feed my dog the BARF diet and he's healthy as can be. I shoot an extra moose each year for him. Similarly I feed my veggies, fruit, oats etc. Don't waste your money on some small expensive jar of "special" stuff.