1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida Tarantulas

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Acro, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Acro

Acro Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    I will be heading down to Miami this Thanksgiving and I would like to find some of the Tarantulas that have become established. I was wondering if there is any "hard" info or first hand accounts of (A) what tarantula species have established themselves in FL and (B) where the locations are. I saw several threads about Ts in FL here, but no sources or first hand accounts seemed to show up.
    Thanks so much for any info!

2. Acro

Acro Arachnoknight

Yes, that is one of the posts that inspired this one actually! But yeah, I sent him a message so hopefully he will post up here soon!

3. All I am willing to say is that there are Brachypelma vagans in Florida, which you already knew.

There are several threads on this forum that detail why revealing population locations isn't recommended. Too many people collecting them = decreased wild populations.

People have mixed feelings as to whether these guys should be collected in large quantities or not. Personally, I don't see a problem with occasional collecting, but the last time I was there I found evidence of larger quantities being collected.

So again, all I can confirm for you is that B. vagans are established in Florida. I have heard of A. avicularia as well but have never looked for or found any.

--Joe

4. look around orange groves and arrogation ditches

5. Jmugleston

Jmugleston Arachnoprince

Utah
    I'm not sure if this was meant to be tongue in cheek or not, but I laughed when I saw it....When talking about Florida, doesn't limiting the search to orange groves and irrigation ditches narrow it down as much as the statement that they exist in Florida? I'm trying to think where in Florida I didn't see either orange groves or irrigation ditches.

6. presurcukr

presurcukr Arachnolord

most are on privet property and you will be run off if not arrested and Miami is way to far south for you to find them (yes i have seen them myself but was on the wrong side of the canal to get a close look)

7. Maybe it was at Disney!!!! lol

8. presurcukr

presurcukr Arachnolord

most of us that know where they are will not tell the location(for the protection of the T's)

9. all jokes aside for a minute, Why would you want to protect an invasive species?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Loudog760

Loudog760 Arachnoknight

CA
    That would make a lot of sense...

11. It would make a lot of sense, the only place you wouldn't see alot of orange groves and irrigation ditches would be at Disney...

12. jayefbe

jayefbe Arachnoprince

x 2. I don't really get it.

13. there was a show on animal planet about the vegans in florida im sure if you look it upo it gives the name of the orange farmer. look his name up and you got a good place to start.

14. BiologicalJewels

BiologicalJewels Arachnoknight

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian
    all jokes aside for a minute, Why would you want to protect an invasive species?

This is probably because these bloodlines are as untainted as can get, Florida vagans AFAIK tend to be really red in the abdomen area, get large and have been isolated from breeding with other populations.

15. kbekker

kbekker Arachnoknight

What does "untainted" mean? Assuming they are the result of just a few animals being introduced, reduction in genetic diversity from the wild population would be a result.

16. You don't want to drive 2 hours to Martin county and not find any Vagans.Years
    ago nobody would bother you.But now if you go to right place.You will find
    out it's the wrong place.Because if your cought there you can end up being
    arrested for tresspassing and spending the day in jail.In miami just south of
    the miami airport there 2 different populations of Avic Avic's.It's been 10
    years since i've been there.So I can't give you a exact location.But it pretty
    common knowledge and if you ask anybody thay can probably help you out.
    There not in the greatest neighborhods so be careful.Also be ready to climb.

17. jebbewocky

jebbewocky Arachnoangel

By untainted, they mean that many of the hobby B.vagans are suspected to be hybrids. The wild Florida ones are supposedly purer from that standpoint.

And the B.vagans are debatebly not invasive, just not local. From what I've researched (not much I will admit), they have actually helped the ecosystem.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  18. They are in a very small area in Florida...hardly affecting its ecosystem.

In my opinion, anyway.

19. jebbewocky

jebbewocky Arachnoangel

Ah.
    Hey, does anyone know how they got their in the first place?