Florida permits/laws

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
I sell exclusively wholesale/bulk spiderlings to petshops and other businesses. My question is what permits or laws I have to abide by in Florida? I will be moving to Florida in the next few months and would really like to hear from folks in Florida that have experience with this matter. If anyone could please steer me in the right direction that would be great. Not looking to do anything illegally and the volume I produce per month to wholesale would definitely need permits. Here in Ga I only need my pet dealers permit for the slings and monitors.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
If you go to the classifieds and search for “Inland Seas”, they are in business in Mt. Dora (Central) Florida. I’m sure they can bring you up to speed. In addition, they seem to be always on the look out for “lots” of slings. Welcome to Florida.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Gaherp

Your best bet is to head over to FL's Fish/Wildlife website and read up. I would not trust vendor because you are then relying on second hand information, who knows how legit that person runs their business. As you do bulk, I suspect you have a reasonable amount of money tied up in your business. Why trust that to someone you don't even know.

I always suspected you were a large breeder.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
@Gaherp

Your best bet is to head over to FL's Fish/Wildlife website and read up. I would not trust vendor because you are then relying on second hand information, who knows how legit that person runs their business. As you do bulk, I suspect you have a reasonable amount of money tied up in your business. Why trust that to someone you don't even know.

I always suspected you were a large breeder.
Researching the State statutes is a good, and necessary resource, but can be convoluted and confusing. Going to someone who practically deals with the issue is the best starting point. I am a retired LEO in the area, and stand by the suggestion to initially contact someone who currently does business in the area. Additionally, State mandates are only one aspect to be considered, there are County and Municipal considerations also. Go to folks who are currently doing business first, thats the real world. After you speak with them, then confirm by way of research into the various and sundry legalities associated with the specific location form where you will be working.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Researching the State statutes is a good, and necessary resource, but can be convoluted and confusing. Going to someone who practically deals with the issue is the best starting point. I am a retired LEO in the area, and stand by the suggestion to initially contact someone who currently does business in the area. Additionally, State mandates are only one aspect to be considered, there are County and Municipal considerations also. Go to folks who are currently doing business first, thats the real world. After you speak with them, then confirm by way of research into the various and sundry legalities associated with the specific location form where you will be working.
There's nothing wrong with going to a local person. My point was not to rely on a local person as one's sole source of information.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My point was not to rely on a local person as one's sole source of information.
As always, you are right my man. But let me add 'every' local persons if you are in Italy and need help, remember, 'every' local persons. Plural, here, unlike Florida :angelic:

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
Thank you for all the recommendations to get me started. I breed a lot but through the years my fastest flow has always been wholesale. From time to time I may post up trades and send way more then I receive. It all depends on the eggsacs popping at the time or if it is my isopods I never fail to shock with numbers. I have to thank my monitors for getting me going over to mostly wholesale.

I had a friend in Florida who sells a lot of reptiles online and at shows. He tempted me at the right time and I have yet to even get an itch to go back. The cash is good just a lot more hours spent fiddling with higher amounts of animals and making sure the taxman gets his. It does help to have the wife deal with them also it is now we met around sixteen years ago.

We both knew a friend back in the day that unfortunately did not think admits or filing for taxes was necessary and when they finally got him we saw that fear up a family and leave a wife with kids in financial ruin. Will not ever want that to happen for sure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I suppose that depends on who the local person is.
True, I think in this person’s case they should consult the authorities’ web site and supplement with local people.

Imagine if the local person was Slackwater :vomit::rolleyes: