Florida bark scorpion

CreepTumorXD

Arachnoknight
How aggressive are they? I understand they are very venomous, but what is the general additude?

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
They are docile and reclusive. Very seldom do I witness mine ever attacking prey or feeding while I am watching. Even if you try to provoke one they will either scurry away to an enclosure corner or try to reduce size by curling its tail and pedipalps as close to its body as possible and sit very still. They are good communal scorpions.

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Actually, I don't think I've ever seen one fully erect its tail in a full on defensive posture before...that might just be my luck though. I believe they try to use camouflage rather than confrontation.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I have 3 slings and two adults, and they are really not very defensive. My small ones LOVE to eat, and I see them hunt all the time. Otherwise, they get skitiish and run around the enclosure. They are pretty chill scorpions, you just have to be careful of the speed the little ones can go ;) Also, they aren't too venemous. I don't believe there are many deaths (if any). Are you thinking of buying some?

CreepTumorXD

Arachnoknight
It's too my understanding they are dangerous the Genus is at least? that's what the internet told me lol

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
If you're referring to C. gracilis, probably the least potent venom of the genus, still a painful sting though.
I've 6 kept communal, rather timid really and surprisingly not too territorial. Late evening most are out of their hides hunting and climbing the cork pieces. Haven't witnessed a full threat posture from anyone yet. All are brood mates and were my first scorpion species.:)

RTTB

Arachnoprince
C gracilis are great communal species to keep. Shy and docile and if you did get stung it may be like a bee sting. Keep them warm humid and vertical bark with some crevice space to hide in.

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wouldn't call them "dangerous" but the only species considered medically significant in the US is sculpturatus. The only gracilis considered especially toxic are found in the Caribbean, although I'm curious as to why the two locales have such different potency.

Other than that, there are a few Mexican and Central American species that aren't very fun, also. If I recall correctly, Mexico is thought to have the highest number of scorpion related deaths per year of any country, with those deaths being mostly attributed to Centruroides.

Last edited:

Mila

Arachnoknight
Scorpions are more deadly in tropical/hot areas as there's more predators. The sting is so potent for protection not for hunting. You don't need super toxic venom to kill an insect but you need a lot more toxic venom to kill a reptile or a mammal

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How aggressive are they? I understand they are very venomous, but what is the general additude?
I've actually never kept florida barks but ive kept C. Hentzi which is pretty close and it was a pretty docile species to keep. They really enjoy the dark corners of their cork barks. The venom isnt too strong from my understanding either.